Stream Bank Repair Workshops
***PLEASE NOTE: Read the following carefully:
- We have consolidated all the scheduled streamabankworkshops on this one website.
- All workshops currently scheduled are listed below. NOTE – More workshops may be added in the coming weeks, and if that occurs, an email notification will be sent out to our mailing list.
- You can come to as many workshops as you wish, but you Must Register to participate (and pay as required) for each workshop individually by clicking on the appropriate links below for the workshop(s) that you wish to participate in.
To best accommodate the growing interest and diverse needs of various audiences across the state, we are continuing to offer workshops in 2 basic formats this season:
- Free ½ day non-certification workshops held at a local stream site (includes hands-on instruction at the stream site, no classroom instruction, no NCSU certification)
- Full day workshops at 2 different fee levels (includes classroom instruction & hands-on instruction at the stream site, lunch, and NCSU certification option for those interested and paying the higher fee)
—– FREE HALF DAY NON-CERTIFICATION WORKSHOPS* —–
- ½ day workshops will run from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm and include hands-on repair of a streambank led by NCSU experts. All ½ day workshops are free of charge.
*Not eligible for the certification option. No lunch provided. No PDHs offered.
CROWN CROSSING LANE WORKSHOP
January 27, 2024
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
716 Crown Crossing Lane, Raleigh, NC
Meet at the large parking area just upslope from the stream site at the edge of the tree line.
—– FULL DAY WORKSHOPS WITH OPTIONAL CERTIFICATION* —–
- Full-day workshops will run from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm and include a classroom training session, lunch, and a hands-on repair of a streambank led by NCSU experts. Lunch is included for all registered for a full-day session, regardless of fee level paid.
- Fees for the full day workshops will be either: $25 / person for the non-certification option, or $250 / person for the certification option.
- Those paying for the $250 certification option will receive a link for an on-line, 25 question multiple choice test at the email address that they used to register for the workshop. The link will open at 5:00 pm on the day of the workshop attended and will remain open for 5 days. It is an open book test and you are welcome to use any notes you take during the workshop or any of the on-line references listed in the ‘Resources’ section of the workshop website. A passing score will be 80%. Those passing will receive a certificate from NCSU and will be listed as a ‘Streambank Repair Professional’ on NCSU-BAE’s Streambank Repair Workshop website.
- Note that the resources section of the workshop website is available to those all registered, regardless of fee level, or attending ½ day free or full-day fee-based workshops.
- NOTE: Full-day workshops are approved for 4.5 PDHs for professional engineers and land surveyors.
*Additional fee applies. Lunch is provided to all attendees regardless of fee level.
NASH COUNTY – RED OAK – ROCKY MOUNT AREA WORKSHOP
January 18, 2024
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Nash County Community College
Science & Technology Building, Room 7104
522 N. Old Carriage Road, Rocky Mount, NC 27804
Campus map here: https://nashcc.edu/contact/map-directions/
Streambank Repair Site: 3553 Northern Estates Cir, Rocky Mount, NC 27804
WAKE COUNTY – HOLLY SPRINGS AREA WORKSHOP
February 16, 2024
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Bass Lake Park Conference Room
900 Bass Lake Rd, Holly Springs, NC 27540
Streambank Repair Site: Womble Park, 1201 Grigsby Ave, Holly Springs, NC 27540
(We will be working on the stream segment just upslope from the large central pond area. Enter the park using the park main entrance off Stinson Ave. Please park in the lot near the pond area.)
Each workshop is unique. The information below is provided for general information about the workshop. Please reference the registration website for specific information about the individual workshop.
About the CERTIFICATION Workshops
Attendees will learn how to protect and improve the natural environment of streams by stabilizing the stream bank and other eroding areas. NC State University and other local experts will provide practical, cost-effective solutions using natural materials and native plants to create a healthy streamside. Attendees will participate in hands-on stream protection practices including harvesting live-staked native plants and/or installing live-stakes on a stream.
If attending a certification workshop, a Stream Bank Repair certification exam will be administered. Those who receive a passing grade of 80% or above will receive a certificate and recognition as Certified in Stream Bank Repair by NC State University Extension.
Who Should Attend
- HOA Officers
- Local Government Personnel
- Landscape Contractors
- Registered Landscape Architects
- Utility Workers
- Park Managers
- Students and Environmental Educators
Registration Fee Information
Certification Registration Fee – $250
Non-Certification Registration Fee – $25
We accept Visa, Mastercard, and American Express for payment of your registration fee. Or you may send us a check made payable to NCSU – BAE. Mail to:
Campus Box 7625
Raleigh, NC 27695
Attn: Workshop Coordinators
Please visit the registration website for current cancellation and refund policies.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Cancellation requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for processing. The cancellation request must be submitted at least thirty-one (31) days before the date of the workshop to receive a full refund. Cancellation requests made between thirty (30) days and eight (8) days before the date of the workshop will receive a full refund minus a $25 administrative processing fee. Any cancellation requests made on or within seven (7) days of the workshop will be ineligible for a refund.
Attendee substitutions from within the same company may be made at any time at no cost. Please send an email to email@example.com with the name of the current registrant and the name and email address of the new registrant.
Severe Weather Cancellation and Refund Policy
In the event of severe weather, this workshop may be postponed or canceled at the discretion of the workshop instructors and coordinators. If the workshop is postponed, you may receive a refund if you are unable to attend the newly scheduled date, time, and location. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to attend the rescheduled workshop. If the workshop is canceled, you will receive a full refund. If the workshop is postponed or canceled, the workshop instructors and coordination staff are not responsible for participants not meeting their PDHs or CEUs requirements with their various professional licensing boards.
Each workshop schedule is unique. Please click on the individual workshop for specifics
What to Bring
Participants will be outside working on stream banks. Proper attire is strongly recommended:
- Jeans/Long Pants
- Long-sleeved shirts
Optional materials to bring include:
- Rain gear
- Bug spray
About the Stream Bank Certification Workshops
Attendees will learn how to protect and improve the natural environment of streams by stabilizing the stream bank and other eroding areas. NC State University and other local experts will provide practical, cost-effective solutions using natural materials and native plants to create a healthy streamside. Attendees will participate in hands-on stream protection practices including installing live-stakes on a stream.
Upon completion of the workshop, a Stream Bank Repair certification exam will be administered. Those who receive a passing grade of at least 80% will receive a certificate and recognition as Certified in Stream Bank Repair by NC State University Extension.
Professional Development Hours
4.5 PDHs for professional engineers and land surveyors (approved by the NC Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors)
- Raleigh Streambank Repair – 6 Months Post Installation
- Rock Creek Streambank Repair – 6 Months Post Installation
- Small Scale Streambank Repair with Native Plants & Materials
- Small Scale Streambank Repair Workshop Video
- Small-scale Solutions to Eroding Streambanks
- NC Native Plant Society
- A Field Guide for the Identification of Invasive Plants in Southern Forests
- Riparian Vegetation Resource List
- Backyard Erosion Brochure
- Army Corps Wetland Plant List
- Live Stake Description
- Live Stake Install Instructions
- Stream Bank Repair Before & After Footage
- Soil Bioengineering Techniques
These workshops are regularly sponsored by the following organizations:
- City of Fayetteville
- NC State University, Department of Biological & Agricultural Engineering
- Cumberland County Cooperative Extension
- NC Cooperative Extension Stormwater Programs
- NC Cooperative Extension River Course Programs
- Mills River Partnership
- River Link
- Ivy River Partners
- Blue Ridge RC&D
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- City of Hendersonville
- Hoffman Nursery