Rain Garden & Water Quality Certification
April 21, 2022
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Sunset Beach Town Hall
700 Sunset Blvd N.
Sunset Beach, NC 28468
Each workshop is unique. The information below is provided for general information about the workshop. Please reference the registration website for specific information about the individual workshop.
About the Workshop
The need for qualified stormwater SCM installers is growing. As homeowners and property managers become more aware of the rules and regulations related to built-upon area (BUA) stormwater management and their related obligations and rights regarding the transfer of property. Many are choosing to manage the runoff and reduce BUA with rain gardens and other stormwater BMPs. Rain gardens, one of the most common installations, are shallow depressions and serve as landscape features that can effectively collect and treat stormwater and reduce localized flooding. Rain gardens can be integrated into the existing landscape as a retrofit or be included in the initial landscaping plan. To effectively manage stormwater, rain gardens must be accurately sized and properly constructed. This 1-day workshop will present a method for sizing and designing rain gardens and will detail proper construction techniques. Participants will have the opportunity to take an exam and become certified in rain garden design and installation.
This workshop, led by experienced installers from NC State University – Cooperative Extension, will familiarize participants with the installation and maintenance of different kinds of stormwater BMPs and to certify qualification to properly design and install many of the practices. This workshop takes place rain or shine.
As a result of this training you will:
- Understand why stormwater needs to be managed.
- Understand the importance of properly-designed practices.
- Understand the principles of rain garden location, construction, and maintenance.
- Learn how to properly design and size rain gardens and other BMPs.
- Be able to select appropriate vegetation.
- Design, build, and plant a small rain garden.
- Be eligible to take a test at the conclusion of the training to be certified in rain garden design and installation.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is tailored to professionals that design, install or maintain rain gardens and other stormwater Best Management Practices and following groups of individuals:
- Commercial and Residential Landscapers
- Landscape Architects
- Design Engineers
- Homeowner Association Members
- Property Managers and Owners
- Teachers and Educators
- Master Gardeners
- Town and City Stormwater Managers
- Those Interested in Learning About Rain Gardens and Their Benefits
Registration Fee Information
Certification Fee – $200.00
Non-Certification Fee – $25.00
Registration fee includes refreshments, lunch, and the NC State University Rain Garden Manual
We accept Visa, Mastercard, and American Express for payment of your registration fee. Or you may send us a check made payable to NCSU – BAE. Mail to:
Campus Box 7625
Raleigh, NC 27695
Attn: Workshop Coordinators
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Cancellation requests should be sent to email@example.com for processing. The cancellation request must be submitted at least thirty-one (31) days before the date of the workshop to receive a full refund. Cancellation requests made between thirty (30) days and eight (8) days before the date of the workshop will receive a full refund minus a $25 administrative processing fee. Any cancellation requests made on or within seven (7) days of the workshop will be ineligible for a refund.
Attendee substitutions from within the same company may be made at any time at no cost. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the current registrant and the name and email address of the new registrant.
Severe Weather Cancellation and Refund Policy
In the event of severe weather, this workshop may be postponed or canceled at the discretion of the workshop instructors and coordinators. If the workshop is postponed, you may receive a refund if you are unable to attend the newly scheduled date, time, and location. Please contact email@example.com if you are unable to attend the rescheduled workshop. If the workshop is canceled, you will receive a full refund. If the workshop is postponed or canceled, the workshop instructors and coordination staff are not responsible for participants not meeting their PDHs or CEUs requirements with their various professional licensing boards.
This is a sample schedule of the workshop to demonstrate the topics that will be covered. Actual schedules, including start and end times, may vary from class to class. Please refer to the workshop registration page and your confirmation email for times.
What to Bring
- This certification is awarded by NC State University Cooperative Extension and is housed in the Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department.
- To receive the certification, attendees must attend the workshop and then receive a score of at least 80% on an examination.
List of Certified Professionals
This workshop is led by experienced rain garden installers. Current instructors are faculty from NC State University’s Department of Biological & Agricultural Engineering and faculty from NC Cooperative Extension Services.
Professional Development Hours
Based on previous workshops, it is estimated that the following professional development hours will be awarded after the successful completion of the certification workshop. A certificate of attendance will be emailed after the workshop, listing these PDHs:
- 5L credit hours for landscape contractors (approved by the NC Landscape Contractors’ Licensing Board, course #660) for the workshop.
- 4.5 contact hours for landscape architects (approved by the NC Board of Landscape Architects, course #12077) for the workshop.
- Other professionals may appeal to their respective boards to obtain professional education credits.
All participants who pass an examination at the end of the course will be certified by NC State Cooperative Extension.