Level III Certification: Design of Erosion and Sediment Control Plans
NOTE: NCDOT Level I and Level II are courses run by the Soil Science Department.
For information about the Level III Recertification Workshop visit https://www.bae.ncsu.edu/workshops-conferences/level-iii-recert/
November 30, 2022
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
The McKimmon Center
1101 Gorman Street
Raleigh, NC 27606
Plenty of free parking in front of the building
This workshop is offered twice a year, once in June and once in December, in Raleigh.
If a workshop is not posted above, we have no additional information to provide regarding future workshop locations or dates. If you have not done so already, we recommend joining our mailing list to be notified when new workshops become available.
Each workshop is unique. The information below is provided for general information about the workshop. Please reference the registration website for specific information about the individual workshop.
About the Workshop
This one-day certification workshop is for engineers and technicians designing erosion and sediment control (E&SC) plans on NCDOT projects, including Reclamation Plans. The workshop focuses on calculations for selecting and sizing best management practices (BMPs) to meet regulatory requirements for NCDOT. Topics include hydrology, erosion, regulations, channels, sediment and turbidity control, and below the water table borrow pit location in relation to wetlands. The 1.5-hour examination must be passed for certification. This is a classroom workshop that includes example problems worked throughout the morning. Participants receive a notebook with presentations, example problems, and reference materials required to pass the examination.
As of January 2021, North Carolina does not award reciprocity from other certifications or certifications from other states.
Who Should Attend
The course is for NCDOT personnel and consultants who design E&SC plans for NCDOT projects. The course is recommended for the following NCDOT classifications:
- District or Assistant District Engineer or District Technician
- County Maintenance Engineer
- Bridge Engineer
- Bridge Maintenance Technician
- DDC Engineer or Technician
For NCDOT personnel: Level III certification is tied to the Technician Skill Base Pay Program, 4M1 Skill Block.
Registration Fee Information
NCDOT Employee Fee – $165 ($140 Early Bird Registration)
Regular Fee – $225 ($200 Early Bird Registration)
The certification registration fee includes workshop materials, light breakfast items, and lunch.
[Due to COVID-19, the test-only option is not available until further notice] A “test-only” option is available if a registrant is unable to attend a class. The registrant must download the materials by clicking on the “Course Materials” link below, then call to schedule a time to come into our office at NC State University to take the proctored exam. The registration cost is $140 for this “test-only” option to be paid before taking the exam. Please call 919-515-6780 or email email@example.com to schedule an exam time. You will be allowed no more than 1.5 hours to take the test.
We accept Visa, Mastercard, and American Express for payment of your registration fee. Or you may send us a check made payable to NCSU – BAE. Mail to:
Campus Box 7625
Raleigh, NC 27695
Attn: Workshop Coordinators
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Cancellation requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for processing. The cancellation request must be submitted at least thirty-one (31) days before the date of the workshop to receive a full refund. Cancellation requests made between thirty (30) days and eight (8) days before the date of the workshop will receive a full refund minus a $25 administrative processing fee. Any cancellation requests made on or within seven (7) days of the workshop will be ineligible for a refund.
Attendee substitutions from within the same company may be made at any time at no cost. Please send an email to email@example.com with the name of the current registrant and the name and email address of the new registrant.
Severe Weather Cancellation and Refund Policy
In the event of severe weather, this workshop may be postponed or canceled at the discretion of the workshop instructors and coordinators. If the workshop is postponed, you may receive a refund if you are unable to attend the newly scheduled date, time, and location. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to attend the rescheduled workshop. If the workshop is canceled, you will receive a full refund. If the workshop is postponed or canceled, the workshop instructors and coordination staff are not responsible for participants not meeting their PDHs or CEUs requirements with their various professional licensing boards.
This is a sample schedule of the workshop to demonstrate the topics that will be covered. Actual schedules, including start and end times, may vary from class to class. Please refer to the workshop registration page and your confirmation email for times.
The following materials/files are available for review. These files will be printed and provided to you at the course registration table:
Information about the Examination:
- The exam is open book and notes
- The exam is administered for 1.5 hours and is timed. No additional time will be allowed
Participants should bring the following items (Necessary for Examination):
- A scientific calculator with x^y and square root functions
- Straight edge (helpful but not necessary)
NOTE: Cell phone use during the examination period will be strictly prohibited
- This certification is awarded by NC State University Cooperative Extension in conjunction with the North Carolina Department of Transporation and is housed in the Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department.
- To receive the certification, individuals must attend the workshop and receive a score of at least 70% on the exam administered at the end of the workshop. The exam is open book, open notes, and administered for a timed 1.5 hours. No additional time will be allowed. The exam is approximately 15 multipart questions that require calculations and understanding of presented topics to answer correctly.
- The certification is valid for 3 years, ending on December 31st of the 3rd year following the examination. For example, if you received your certification in June or December 2019, your certification is valid until December 31, 2022.
- To maintain certification in good standing after 3 years, certified professionals will need to attend the Level III Recertification workshop and sit for the recertification exam.
- If you allow your certification to lapse, you have a one-year grace period in which you are still eligible to take the re-certification workshop and bring your certification back into good standing. If you exceed this one-year grace period, you will need to take the certification workshop and exam again.
- The certification is NOT intended to be a replacement for professional licensure (like PE or RLA) and is only a supplement to those rigorous professional licenses.
I’ve Taken the Exam – Now What?
All exams are hand graded by NC Cooperative Extension faculty as quickly as possible. Please be patient as this can take 2-4 weeks to complete. Once grades are received by workshop coordinators, all attendees will be notified whether they passed or failed; individual numerical scores are not provided. Certificates and inspector cards will be emailed to all individuals who passed. In addition, those individuals’ names and information will be posted on the website below. We kindly ask that you allow at least 5 weeks for grading and that you check this website before contacting the coordinators about exam results. If you do not pass the exam, you will receive a personal email from the coordinators regarding the next steps.
To continue the certification beyond the original 3 years, certified professionals must attend a Recertification workshop and pass the recertification exam. For information about the Level III Recertification Workshop visit https://www.bae.ncsu.edu/workshops-conferences/level-iii-recert/
NOTE: The workshop and conference coordinators do not have the manpower nor the software to send you notifications or emails when your certification is about to expire. Please be responsible and make the necessary reminders or other arrangements for yourself to keep your certification active. No concessions will be made, especially at the end each year, for those who were not mindful to manage their own certification. We are only able to offer this workshop twice a year, in Raleigh, and each workshop has a limited number of seats available. Again, please plan accordingly to maintain an active and valid certification.
Level-A & Level-B Certification List
If you were previously certified for Level III-A or III-B, this course replaces those certifications with a new Level III certification fulfilling the requirements of both of the previous certifications. Please click the link below to view the current certification list.
Professional Development Hours
Based on previous workshops, it is estimated that the following professional development hours will be awarded after the successful completion of the workshop. A certificate of attendance will be emailed after the workshop, listing these PDHs:
- 7 PDHs for professional engineers and land surveyors (approved by the NC Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors) for the re-certification workshop.
Other professionals may appeal to their respective boards to obtain professional education credits.