Backyard Stream, Erosion Control, & Raingarden Clinics
About the Workshop
Is there a stream or erosion problem on your property? Are the stream-banks falling in? Are you losing part of your backyard? Have you heard about Raingardens and would like to learn more?
Learn how to protect your property and improve the natural environment by stabilizing the stream and other eroding areas in your backyard. Learn from NC State University and other local experts about practical, cost-effective solutions using natural materials and native plants to create a healthy streamside or raingarden environment. You will participate in an actual “hands-on” streambank, raingarden, or erosion repair exercises at a local residence, enhancing an eroding streambank using ‘live-staked’ native plants.
Attendees will have the opportunity to observe a successful stream repair or raingarden installation, ask questions of experts, and install stream protection practices including live-staking techniques to stabilize and beautify a problem streambank and other eroding areas.
Who Should Attend
This course is recommended for the following groups of individuals:
- HOA Officers
- Local Government Personnel
- Landscape Contractors
- Registered Landscape Architects
- Utility Workers
- Park Managers
- Students and Environmental Educators
Upcoming Clinic Dates
Currently, there are no workshops scheduled at this time. Please check back regularly for updates on new workshop offerings.
What to Bring
Hand tools and live stakes will be provided. Participants will be outside working on stream banks and in shallow water. Proper attire is strongly recommended:
This workshop is sponsored by the following organizations:
- NC State University, Department of Biological & Agricultural Engineering
- NC Cooperative Extension Stormwater Programs
- Qualifiers for Quagmires
- Small-scale Solutions to Eroding Streambanks
- NC Native Plant Society
- A Field Guide for the Identification of Invasive Plants in Southern Forests
- Backyard Buffers/Livestakes
- Riparian Vegetation Resource List
- Backyard Erosion Brochure
- Army Corps Wetland Plant List
- Backyard Stream Repair Kit, North Carolina
- Live Stake Description
- Live Stake Install Instructions