RG 201 - Residential Rain Garden Certification
NEW! One Day Workshop Agenda!
March 23, 2017
City of Lexington Public Utilities Building
425 Carolina Ave
Lexington, NC 27292
March 25, 2017
UNC Asheville - Campus Map
Owen Hall, Rm 229
1 University Drive
Asheville, NC 28804
Registration is closed
NOTE: This workshop is tailored to professionals that design, install or maintain rain gardens and other stormwater Best Management Practices as well as homeowners, gardeners, environmental groups, gardeners, teachers, students, Master Gardeners, and others that just want to learn more about raingardens and their benefits.
About the workshop:
The need for Qualified stormwater BMP installers is growing. As homeowners and property managers become more aware of the rules and regulations related to built-upon area (BUA) stormwater management and their related obligations and rights regading the transfer of property. Many are choosing to manage the runoff and reduce BUA with rain gardens and other stormwater BMPs. Rain gardens, one of the most common installations, are shallow depressions and serve as landscape features that can effectively collect and treat stormwater and reduce localized flooding. Rain gardens can be integrated into the existing landscape as a retrofit or be included in the initial landscaping plan. To effectively manage stormwater, rain gardens must be accurately sized and properly constructed. This 1-day workshop will present a method for sizing and designing rain gardens and will detail proper construction techniques. Participants will have the opportunity to take an exam and become certified in rain garden design and installation.
This workshop, led by experienced installers from NC State University - Cooperative Extension, will familiarize participants with the installation and maintenance of different kinds of stormwater BMPs and to certify qualification to properly design and install many of the practices.
Workshop participants will be installing a rain garden. Participants should dress accordingly for the weather (this will take place RAIN or SHINE). Close-toed shoes are highly recommended. Bring sunblock/hats/gloves if preferred. Bottled water will be provided.
As a result of this training you will:
- Understand why stormwater needs to be managed,
- Understand the importance of properly-designed practices,
- Understand the principles of rain garden location, construction and maintenance,
- Learn how to properly design and size rain gardens and other BMPs
- Be able to select appropriate vegetation,
- Design, build and plant a small rain garden,
- Be eligible to take a test at the conclusion of the training to be certified in rain garden design and installation.
Click here to view the AGENDA! This is now a 1-day workshop.
- This certification is awarded by NC State University Cooperative Extension and is housed in the Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department.
- To receive the certification, attendees must take an exam and pass with a score of at least 80%.
Please click here for a list of Certified Residential Rain Garden Professionals from 2009 - 2010.
click here for a list of Certified Residential Rain Garden Professionals for 2011 - 2017.
Continuing Education Credits:
- The NC Landscape Contractors' Licensing Board (NCLCLB) has approved this course for 4.5L credit hours (Course# 660)
- 4 contact hours are Pending approval by the NC Board of Landscape Architects
(Course # 6379)
Who Should Attend:
- Commercial and residential landscapers
- Landscape Architects
- Design Engineers
- Homeowners, HOA members
- Teachers, Educators
- Master Gardeners
- Property Owners
- Town, City Stormwater Managers
- Regular Certification Fee: $100 - includes break service, lunch, NCSU Raingarden Manual and workshop notebook.
- Non-certification Fee: $25 - includes break service and lunch and the NCSU Raingarden Manual. (workshop notebook not provided)
Cancellation Policy: If cancelling a registration, a refund minus a $25 administrative fee will be given prior to the workshop date. No refund if canceling the day of the workshop.
Pay online when you register with Mastercard, Visa, or American Express
If paying by check, please make it payable to NCSU-BAE and mailed to:
Campus Box 7625
Raleigh, NC 27695
Attn: Christina Shepard
- Faculty of NCSU Department of Biological & Agricultural Engineering
- Faculty of NC Cooperative Extension Service
Rain Garden Overview
||Site Selection and Design
In Class Exercise
Hands-on Construction of Rain Garden
Hands-on Construction of Rain Garden
||Maintenance and FAQ
For registration questions:
Chrissie Shepard - firstname.lastname@example.org - 919-513-2192