William Neal Reynolds Distinguished University Professor & Extension Specialist
- Weaver Administration Bldg 210A
- Visit My Website
Dr. William F. Hunt III is a William Neal Reynolds Distinguished University Professor and Extension Specialist in North Carolina State University’s Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering. Hunt holds degrees in Civil Engineering (NCSU, B.S., 1994), Economics (NCSU, B.S., 1995), Biological & Agricultural Engineering (NCSU, M.S., 1997) and Agricultural & Biological Engineering, (Penn State, Ph.D., 2003).
Since 2000, Hunt has assisted with the design, installation, and/or monitoring of over 150 stormwater control measures (SCMs), including bioretention, stormwater wetlands, innovative wet ponds, green roofs, permeable pavement, water harvesting/cistern systems and level spreaders. He teaches 20-25 short courses and workshops each year on stormwater design, function, and maintenance throughout North Carolina and the United States.
Hunt is an active member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), where he serves on the Urban Water Resources Research Council, the LID committee, and is co-chair of the Bioretention Task Committee. He was chair of the 2nd National LID Conference held in Wilmington, NC, in March 2007 and co-chaired the same conference in Philadelphia in September 2011.
Agricultural and Biological Engineering
Pennsylvania State University
Biological and Agricultural Engineering
North Carolina State University
North Carolina State University
North Carolina State University
Stormwater management, and low impact development and green infrastructure
Honors and Awards
- William Neal Reynolds Distinguished Professor, 2015
- Blue-Green Innovator of the Year in NC, 2014
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Young Extension Award, 2008
- Inducted into the Academy of Outstanding Faculty Engaged in Extension (AOFEE), 2007
- Governor's Award for Water Conservationist of the Year, NC Wildlife Foundation, 2007
- NC State Alumni Outstanding Extension and Outreach Award, 2007
- Outstanding Extension Specialist for NCSU and NCA&T for support of county programs from the NCSU Association of Extension Specialists, 2007
- Evaluating the Hydrologic Benefits of a Bioswale in Brunswick County, North Carolina (NC), USA
- Purvis, R. A., Winston, R. J., Hunt, W. F., Lipscomb, B., Narayanaswamy, K., McDaniel, A., … Libes, S. (2019), WATER, 11(6). https://doi.org/10.3390/w11061291
- Field Monitoring of Downspout Disconnections to Reduce Runoff Volume and Improve Water Quality along the North Carolina Coast
- Taguchi, V. J., Carey, E. S., & Hunt, W. F., III. (2019), JOURNAL OF SUSTAINABLE WATER IN THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT, 5(1). https://doi.org/10.1061/JSWBAY.0000872
- Evaluating the water quality benefits of a bioswale in Brunswick County, North Carolina (NC), USA
- Purvis, R. A., Winston, R. J., Hunt, W. F., Lipscomb, B., Narayanaswamy, K., McDaniel, A., … Libes, S. (2018), Water, 10(2).
- Hydrologic and water quality evaluation of a permeable pavement and biofiltration device in series
- Braswell, A. S., Anderson, A. R., & Hunt, W. F. (2018), Water, 10(1).
- Hydrologic and water quality performance of permeable pavement with internal water storage over a clay soil in Durham, North Carolina
- Braswell, A. S., Winston, R. J., & Hunt, W. F. (2018), JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT, 224, 277–287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2018.07.040
- Hydrologic performance of four permeable pavement systems constructed over low-permeability soils in Northeast Ohio
- Winston, R. J., Dorsey, J. D., Smolek, A. P., & Hunt, W. F. (2018), Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 23(4).
- Performance of regenerative stormwater conveyance on the removal of dissolved pollutants: Field scale simulation study
- Koryto, K. M., Hunt, W. F., Arellano, C., & Page, J. L. (2018), Journal of Environmental Engineering (New York, N.Y.), 144(6).
- Stormwater management in nutrient-sensitive watersheds: a case study investigating impervious cover limits and pollutant-load regulations
- Stillwell, C. C., Hunt, W. F., III, Page, J. L., Baird, J. B., & Kennedy, S. G. (2018), WATER SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 78(3), 664–675. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2018.338
- The interrelationship of green infrastructure and natural capital
- Chenoweth, J., Anderson, A. R., Kumar, P., Hunt, W. F., Chimbwandira, S. J., & Moore, T. L. C. (2018), Land Use Policy, 75, 137–144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2018.03.021
- Vermuyden, Arkwright, and Slater the Traitor: Derwent Valley Mills-Birthplace of the water powered cotton spinning industry and skyscraper construction techniques
- Newman, A. P., Rodriguez, A. M., & Hunt, W. F. (2018), In World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2018: International Perspectives, History and Heritage, Emerging Technologies, and Student Papers (pp. 87–100).
- Clean Little Alamance from the Y Up (formerly CLAM Project) (DEQ Task Order #7932)
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)(7/18/19 - 8/31/20)
- Innovative Stormwater Management: Through Tree Cell Installation and Rainwater Harvesting Treatment Trains
- Department of Energy and Environment (DOEE) (6/03/19 - 9/30/20)
- Optimizing Dry Swale Design for Water Quality Improvement
- NC Department of Transportation(6/01/19 - 12/31/19)
- Establishing Nutrient and Pathogen Thresholds for SCM Assessment and Revising the Rainwater Harvesting Model
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)(7/22/19 - 12/31/19)
- FACT: Developing Data-to-Decision Pipelines for Agroecosystem Management through High-performance Computing and Big Data Analytics
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) - National Institute of Food and Agriculture(8/01/19 - 7/31/23)
- Evaluating Subsurface Gravel Wetlands
- NC Clean Water Management Trust Fund(4/18/19 - 4/17/20)
- Field Monitoring of Oldcastle BioPod BioFilters and PerkFilter Cartridge Filter
- Oldcastle Infrastructure (Formerly Oldcastle Precast, Inc.)(6/01/19 - 6/30/21)
- Monitoring a RSC in Greensboro, NC
- Greensboro, NC(4/01/19 - 8/31/21)
- Lower Creek Water Quality Improvement
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)(3/08/19 - 6/30/21)
- Protocol for Outlet Analysis at Highway Sites
- NC Department of Transportation(8/16/18 - 8/15/21)