He was selected as one of three NCSU faculty members to serve on a 20-member multi-disciplinary advisory panel to provide input for the development and implementation of a $17.5 million project for developing “Environmentally Superior Technologies” for management of swine manure.
The result of Westerman’s work has been applied to the development of guidelines for users, extension publications, and environmental regulations. He and a former graduate student have a patent for the “Apparatus and Method for Removing Phosphorus from Waste Lagoon Effluent.” He has authored or co-authored 200 refereed journal articles, conference proceedings, technical papers and reports, and abstracts.
Westerman is a Fellow member of ASAE, and has a long record of continuous committee work involving the Structures and Environment and Soil and Water divisions. He has served as associate editor for both divisions, and chaired the Agricultural Waste Management (SE-412), Land Application of Waste (SW-263) committees and the Fellows (E-08)committee.
He has received citations for excellence in manuscript review by both ASABE and the Journal for Environmental Quality. Other awards and honors include a USDA Honors award; University of Kentucky – Alpha Epsilon Outstanding Alumni award; NC Cooperative Extension Service – Extension Education award; and he received the ASABE Gunlogson Countryside Engineering Award for his outstanding contributions to the agricultural community through the development of livestock waste management and treatment systems. Ho also received a Certificate of Appreciation that honors his program committee work involved with three international symposia on agricultural and food processing wastes, one as program chair.
University of Kentucky
University of Kentucky
University of Kentucky
- Acidifier application rate impacts on ammonia emissions from US roaster chicken houses
- Shah, S. B., Grimes, J. L., Oviedo-Rondon, E. O., & Westerman, P. W. (2014), Atmospheric Environment, 92, 576–583. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2013.01.044
- Acidifier dosage effects on inside ammonia concentrations in roaster houses
- Shah, S. B., Oviedo-Rondon, E. O., Grimes, J. L., Westerman, P. W., & Campeau, D. (2013), Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 29(4), 573–580. https://doi.org/10.13031/aea.29.9904
- Ancillary impacts of different acidifier application rates in roaster houses
- Shah, S. B., Westerman, P. W., Grimes, J. L., Oviedo-Rondon, E. O., & Campeau, D. (2013), Journal of Applied Poultry Research, 22, 565–573. https://doi.org/10.3382/japr.2012-00693
- Live performance of roasters raised in houses receiving different acidifier application rates
- Oviedo-Rondon, E. O., Shah, S. B., Grimes, J. L., Westerman, P. W., & Campeau, D. (2013), Journal of Applied Poultry Research, 22(4), 922–928. https://doi.org/10.3382/japr.2012-00716
- Nitrogen mass balance in commercial roaster houses receiving different acidifier application rates
- Shah, S. B., Grimes, J. L., Oviedo-Rondon, E. O., Westerman, P. W., & Campeau, D. (2013), Journal of Applied Poultry Research, 22(3), 539–550. https://doi.org/10.3382/japr.2012-00704
- Ammonia emissions from broiler cake stockpiled in a naturally ventilated shed
- Yao, H., Shah, S. B., Willits, D. H., Westerman, P. W., Li, L. W., & Marshall, T. K. (2011), Transactions of the ASABE, 54(5), 1893–1904. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.39830
- Phosphorus recovery from covered digester effluent with a continuous-flow struvite crystallizer
- Westerman, P. W., Bowers, K. E., & Zering, K. D. (2010), (Vol. 26, pp. 153–161).
- Swine anaerobic lagoon nutrient concentration variation with season, lagoon level, and rainfall
- Westerman, P. W., Ogejo, J. A., & Grabow, G. L. (2010), (Vol. 26, pp. 147–152).
- Impact of land application method on ammonia loss from hog lagoon effluent
- Shah, S. B., Balla, B. K., Grabow, G. L., Westerman, P. W., & Bailey, D. E. (2009), Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 25(6), 963–973. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.29236
- Design and evaluation of a regenerating scrubber for reducing animal house emissions
- Shah, S. B., Westerman, P. W., Munilla, R. D., Adcock, M. E., & Baughman, G. R. (2008), Transactions of the ASABE, 51(1), 243–250. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.24217
- Waste Management in Hog Lagoons Using Bio-Magic
- Blue and Green Solutions, Inc.(9/15/09 - 12/15/09)
- Effective strategies for biogas and nutrient management resulting from anaerobic digestion in covered swine lagoons
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA)(9/01/08 - 6/30/12)
- Phosphorus Recovery From Concentrated Wastewater With a Continuous-Flow Struvite Crystallizer
- National Pork Board(5/01/07 - 5/01/09)
- Manure and Nutrient Characterization for Flushed Manure for Use in Design Criteria for Innovative Treatment Technologies
- NC Pork Council(7/01/06 - 6/30/07)
- Litter Amendment and Improved Diet Impacts on Broiler Ammonia Emissions and Productivity
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA)(1/01/06 - 12/31/10)
- A Regenerating Scrubber for Reducing Animal House Emissions
- NCSU Animal and Poultry Waste Management Center(10/01/04 - 6/30/06)
- Determining Plant-Available Nitrogen in Hog Anaerobic Lagoon Effluent Applied with Traveling Gun and Drag Hose Systems
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(6/01/05 - 12/31/06)