Biological Systems Engineering
Biological and Agricultural Engineering
Louisiana State University
Punjab Agricultural University, India
Livestock barn ventilation, heating, and cooling; agricultural air quality; renewable energy applications in livestock barns
Honors and Awards
- Special Specialist Award, 2006
- Robert W. Bottcher Promising Researcher Award, 2004
- Faculty Research and Professional Development Award, 2004
- WVU Extension Service Outstanding Developing Researcher Award, 2002
- N2O emission and nitrogen transformation in chicken manure and biochar co-composting
- Jia, X., Wang, M., Yuan, W., Shah, S., Shi, W., Meng, X., Ju, X., & Yang, B. (2016), Transactions of the ASABE, 59(5), 1277-1283.
- Performance analysis of a poultry engineering chamber complex for animal environment, air quality, and welfare studies
- Shivkumar, A. P., Wang-Li, L., Shah, S. B., Stikeleather, L. F., & Fuentes, M. (2016), Transactions of the ASABE, 59(5), 1371-1382.
- Transpired solar wall for tempering air in a swine nursery in a humid subtropical climate
- Shah, S.B., Marshall, T.K., & Matthis, S. (2016), Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 32, 115-123.
- Removal of ammonia and airborne culturable bacteria by proof-of-concept windbreak wall with slightly acidic electrolyzed water spray for a layer breeding house
- Zheng, W., Li, Z., Shah, S., & Li, B. (2016), Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 32(3), 393-399.
- Development of MOS sensor-based NH3 monitor for use in poultry houses
- Lin, T. H., Shah, S. B., Wang-Li, L. J., Oviedo-Rondoon, E. O., & Post, J. (2016), Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 127, 708-715.
- Avocado seed-derived activated carbon for mitigation of aqueous ammonium
- Zhu, Y. Y., Kolar, P., Shah, S. B., Cheng, J. J., & Lim, P. K. (2016), Industrial Crops and Products, 92, 34-41.
- Calcined eggshell as an inexpensive catalyst for partial oxidation of methane
- Karoshi, G., Kolar, P., Shah, S. B., Gilleskie, G., & Das, L. (2015), Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 57, 123-128.
- Biofiltration of ammonia and GHGs from swine gestation barn pit exhaust
- Hood, M. C., Shah, S. B., Kolar, P., Li, L. W., & Stikeleather, L. (2015), Transactions of the ASABE, 58(3), 771-782.
- Acidifier application rate impacts on ammonia emissions from US roaster chicken houses
- Shah, S. B., Grimes, J. L., Oviedo-Rondon, E. O., & Westerman, P. W. (2014), Atmospheric Environment, 92, 576-583.
- Transpired solar collector duct for tempering air in North Carolina turkey brooder barn and swine nursery
- Love, C. D., Shah, S. B., Grimes, J. L., & Willits, D. W. (2014), Solar Energy, 102, 308-317.
- Evaluating hen behavior and physiological stressors during VSD for the development of humane methodologies for mass depopulation during a disease outbreak
- United States Poultry & Egg Association(11/01/15 - 2/01/17)
- LOW-COST SOLAR HEATER FOR POULTRY BARNS
- United States Poultry & Egg Association(11/01/15 - 1/01/17)
- Combined Heat Recovery and Ammonia Control System for Broiler Brooding
- United States Poultry & Egg Association(1/01/15 - 9/01/17)
- Engineered windbreak wall - Negetative Strip System to Reduce Pollutant and Odor Emissions from Mechanically-Ventilated Broiler and Swine Barns
- US Dept. of Agriculture - Natural Resources Conservation Service (USDA NRCS)(9/29/14 - 9/30/17)
- NOVEL SOLAR HEAT STORAGE SYSTEM
- NCSU Research and Innovation Seed Funding Program(1/01/14 - 12/31/14)
- Develop and Test Ammonia - Oxygen Monitoring System For Poultry Houses
- United States Poultry & Egg Association(1/01/14 - 4/01/15)
- The Impact of Pad Cooling on Barn Environment, Finishing Pig Performance and Producer Profitability
- National Pork Board(3/15/13 - 10/31/16)
- Retrofitting a Naturally-Ventilated Hog Finishing Barn with a Geothermal Zone-Cooling System
- NC Pork Council(1/01/12 - 9/30/13)
- Removal of Volatile Organic Compounds from Swine Facilities via Adsorption: Technical and Economical Evaluation
- National Pork Board(5/01/12 - 4/30/13)
- Poultry Litter BMP Extension & Subsurface Application Technology Evaluation
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA)(9/08/10 - 12/31/12)