Associate Professor and Dept. Extension Leader
- Weaver Administration Bldg 200
Restoration techniques for prior converted wetlands and tidal marshes, Effects of grassed/forested riparian buffers on reducing nutrient/sediment loads to streams, Design and monitoring of stormwater constructed wetlands (Stormwater Wetland Construction Guidance), Innovative stormwater BMPs in coastal areas, Stability of restored coastal streams, Golf course BMPs Constructed wetlands for wastewater treatment
Honors and Awards
- NC Soil and Water Conservation Society, Professional Achievement Water Quality, 2014
- NC State/Nancy G. Pollock Dissertation Award, 2003
- Comparison of four nitrate removal kinetic models in two distinct wetland restoration mesocosm systems (vol 9, 517, 2017)
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2017), Water, 9(9).
- Adapting the relaxed tanks-in-series model for stormwater wetland water quality performance
- Merriman, L. S., Hathaway, J. M., Burchell, M. R., & Hunt, W. F. (2017), Water, 9(9).
- Nitrate removal potential of restored wetlands loaded with agricultural drainage water: A mesocosm scale experimental approach
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., Birgand, F., Broome, S. W., & Chescheir, G. (2017), Ecological Engineering, 106, 541-554.
- Tracking the fate of nitrate through pulse-flow wetlands: A mesocosm scale N-15 enrichment tracer study
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., Bohlke, J. K., & Tobias, C. R. (2017), Ecological Engineering, 106, 597-608.
- Comparison of four nitrate removal kinetic models in two distinct wetland restoration mesocosm systems
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2017), Water, 9(7).
- Testing the riparian ecosystem management model (REMM) on a riparian buffer with dilution from deep groundwater
- Tilak, A. S., Youssef, M. A., Burchell, M. R., Lowrance, R. R., & Williams, R. G. (2017), Transactions of the ASABE, 60(2), 377-392.
- Greenhouse gas emissions from a created brackish marsh in eastern North Carolina
- Shiau, Y. J., Burchell, M., Krauss, K., Birgand, F., & Broome, S. (2016), Wetlands (Wilmington, N.C.), 36(6), 1009-1024.
- Seasonal variation in the quality of dissolved and particulate organic matter exchanged between a salt marsh and its adjacent estuary
- Osburn, C. L., Mikan, M. P., Etheridge, J. R., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2015), Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, 120(7), 1430-1449.
- Quantifying nutrient and suspended solids fluxes in a constructed tidal marsh following rainfall: The value of capturing the rapid changes in flow and concentrations
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., & Burchell, M. R. (2015), Ecological Engineering, 78, 41-52.
- Field testing the riparian ecosystem management model on a riparian buffer in the North Carolina upper coastal plain
- Tilak, A. S., Burchell, M. R., Youssef, M. A., Lowrance, R. R., & Williams, R. G. (2014), Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 50(3), 665-682.
- Restored wetlands to improve water quality in agricultural watersheds â€“ a pilot-scale study
- North Carolina Coastal Federation(3/01/17 - 3/30/18)
- Field Testing of Mesocosm-Scale Derived Nitrate Removal Models to Verify Water Quality Improvement Potential of Restored Coastal Forested Wetlands
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(9/01/16 - 2/28/18)
- Efficacy of linear wetlands to treat agricultural drainage water in the Little River watershed
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)(3/01/16 - 12/31/18)
- In-stream wetlands as part of the Little River watershed restoration project
- NC Clean Water Management Trust Fund(1/01/16 - 8/31/18)
- Development and promotion of drainage water management systems adapted to maximize crop production in response to climate variability
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) - National Institute of Food and Agriculture(1/01/16 - 12/31/17)
- Comprehensive Wetland Monitoring Network and Spatial Database for North Carolinaâ€™s Coastal Plain and Piedmont Regions
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)(10/01/14 - 9/30/18)
- Eden Area Watershed Modeling Project
- NC Clean Water Management Trust Fund(5/01/13 - 11/30/14)
- Wetland Restoration at Great Dismal Swamp State Park
- US Fish & Wildlife Service(1/01/13 - 2/01/17)
- A Mesocosm Study to Determine Nitrogen Assimilation Capacity of a Restored Wetland Slated to Receive Pumped Drainage Water - a Critical Component to Maximize Improvement to the Pamlico Sound
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(3/01/13 - 2/26/16)
- Predicting Water Quality Impacts of Rerouting Drainage Water From the Pamlico Sound to Restored Wetlands
- NCSU Sea Grant Program(9/01/12 - 8/31/14)