Associate Professor and Dept. Extension Leader
- Weaver Administration Bldg 200
Biological & Agricultural Engineering
NC State University
University of Mississippi
NC State University
Wetland restoration, Effects of grassed/forested riparian buffers on reducing nutrient/sediment loads to streams, Constructed wetlands for stormwater and wastewater treatment, Innovative stormwater BMPs in coastal areas, Agricultural drainage water management, and Golf course BMPs,
Honors and Awards
- NC Soil and Water Conservation Society, Professional Achievement Water Quality, 2014
- NC State/Nancy G. Pollock Dissertation Award, 2003
- Adapting the relaxed tanks-in-series model for stormwater wetland water quality performance
- Merriman, L. S., Hathaway, J. M., Burchell, M. R., & Hunt, W. F. (2017), Water, 9(9).
- Comparison of four nitrate removal kinetic models in two distinct wetland restoration mesocosm systems
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2017), Water, 9(7).
- Comparison of four nitrate removal kinetic models in two distinct wetland restoration mesocosm systems (vol 9, 517, 2017)
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2017),
- Nitrate removal potential of restored wetlands loaded with agricultural drainage water: A mesocosm scale experimental approach
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., Birgand, F., Broome, S. W., & Chescheir, G. (2017), Ecological Engineering, 106, 541–554.
- Testing the riparian ecosystem management model (REMM) on a riparian buffer with dilution from deep groundwater
- Tilak, A. S., Youssef, M. A., Burchell, M. R., Lowrance, R. R., & Williams, R. G. (2017), Transactions of the ASABE, 60(2), 377–392.
- Tracking the fate of nitrate through pulse-flow wetlands: A mesocosm scale N-15 enrichment tracer study
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., Bohlke, J. K., & Tobias, C. R. (2017), Ecological Engineering, 106, 597–608.
- Greenhouse gas emissions from a created brackish marsh in eastern North Carolina
- Shiau, Y. J., Burchell, M., Krauss, K., Birgand, F., & Broome, S. (2016), Wetlands (Wilmington, N.C.), 36(6), 1009–1024. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13157-016-0815-y
- Quantifying nutrient and suspended solids fluxes in a constructed tidal marsh following rainfall: The value of capturing the rapid changes in flow and concentrations
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., & Burchell, M. R. (2015), Ecological Engineering, 78, 41–52.
- Seasonal variation in the quality of dissolved and particulate organic matter exchanged between a salt marsh and its adjacent estuary
- Osburn, C. L., Mikan, M. P., Etheridge, J. R., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2015), Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, 120(7), 1430–1449.
- Field testing the riparian ecosystem management model on a riparian buffer in the North Carolina upper coastal plain
- Tilak, A. S., Burchell, M. R., Youssef, M. A., Lowrance, R. R., & Williams, R. G. (2014), Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 50(3), 665–682.
- A feasibility study to examine expansion of infiltration systems to reduce direct ocean stormwater discharge in Kure Beach NC
- NC Clean Water Management Trust Fund(12/17/18 - 5/31/19)
- Developing and Testing Wetland Hydrology Performance Criteria for Restoration Sites
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)(10/01/18 - 9/30/21)
- Improving performance and examining expansion of constructed wetlands for tertiary treatment of nitrogen from domestic and municipal wastewater
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(6/01/18 - 5/29/19)
- Restored wetlands to improve water quality in agricultural watersheds â€“ a pilot-scale study
- North Carolina Coastal Federation(3/01/17 - 9/28/18)
- Field Testing of Mesocosm-Scale Derived Nitrate Removal Models to Verify Water Quality Improvement Potential of Restored Coastal Forested Wetlands
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(9/01/16 - 12/31/18)
- Efficacy of linear wetlands to treat agricultural drainage water in the Little River watershed
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)(3/01/16 - 12/31/18)
- In-stream wetlands as part of the Little River watershed restoration project
- NC Clean Water Management Trust Fund(1/01/16 - 6/30/19)
- Development and promotion of drainage water management systems adapted to maximize crop production in response to climate variability
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) - National Institute of Food and Agriculture(1/01/16 - 9/30/18)
- Comprehensive Wetland Monitoring Network and Spatial Database for North Carolinaâ€™s Coastal Plain and Piedmont Regions
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)(10/01/14 - 3/31/19)
- Eden Area Watershed Modeling Project
- NC Clean Water Management Trust Fund(5/01/13 - 11/30/14)