Associate Professor and Dept. Extension Leader
- Weaver Administration Bldg 200
Restoration techniques for prior converted wetlands and tidal marshes, Effects of grassed/forested riparian buffers on reducing nutrient/sediment loads to streams, Design and monitoring of stormwater constructed wetlands (Stormwater Wetland Construction Guidance), Innovative stormwater BMPs in coastal areas, Stability of restored coastal streams, Golf course BMPs
Honors and Awards
- NC Soil and Water Conservation Society, Professional Achievement Water Quality, 2014
- NC State/Nancy G. Pollock Dissertation Award, 2003
- Testing the riparian ecosystem management model (REMM) on a riparian buffer with dilution from deep groundwater
- Tilak, A. S., Youssef, M. A., Burchell, M. R., Lowrance, R. R., & Williams, R. G. (2017), Transactions of the ASABE, 60(2), 377-392.
- Greenhouse gas emissions from a created brackish marsh in eastern North Carolina
- Shiau, Y. J., Burchell, M., Krauss, K., Birgand, F., & Broome, S. (2016), Wetlands (Wilmington, N.C.), 36(6), 1009-1024.
- Seasonal variation in the quality of dissolved and particulate organic matter exchanged between a salt marsh and its adjacent estuary
- Osburn, C. L., Mikan, M. P., Etheridge, J. R., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2015), Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, 120(7), 1430-1449.
- Quantifying nutrient and suspended solids fluxes in a constructed tidal marsh following rainfall: The value of capturing the rapid changes in flow and concentrations
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., & Burchell, M. R. (2015), Ecological Engineering, 78, 41-52.
- Field testing the riparian ecosystem management model on a riparian buffer in the North Carolina upper coastal plain
- Tilak, A. S., Burchell, M. R., Youssef, M. A., Lowrance, R. R., & Williams, R. G. (2014), Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 50(3), 665-682.
- Groundwater nitrate concentration reductions in a riparian buffer enrolled in the NC Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program
- Wiseman, J. D., Burchell, M. R., Grabow, G. L., Osmond, D. L., & Messer, T. L. (2014), Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 50(3), 653-664.
- Technical note: Alternative in-stream denitrification equation for the INCA-N model
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., Burchell, M. R., Lepisto, A., Rankinen, K., & Granlund, K. (2014), Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 18(4), 1467-1473.
- Using in situ ultraviolet-visual spectroscopy to measure nitrogen, carbon, phosphorus, and suspended solids concentrations at a high frequency in a brackish tidal marsh
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., Osborne, J. A., Osburn, C. L., Burchell, M. R., & Irving, J. (2014), Limnology and oceanography-methods, 12, 10-22.
- Reducing uncertainty in the calibration and validation of the INCA-N model by using soft data
- Etheridge, J. R., Lepisto, A., Granlund, K., Rankinen, K., Birgand, F., & Burchell, M. R. (2014), Hydrology Research, 45(1), 73-88.
- Addressing the fouling of in situ ultraviolet-visual spectrometers used to continuously monitor water quality in brackish tidal marsh waters
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., Burchell, M. R., & Smith, B. T. (2013), Journal of Environmental Quality, 42(6), 1896-1901.
- Field Testing of Mesocosm-Scale Derived Nitrate Removal Models to Verify Water Quality Improvement Potential of Restored Coastal Forested Wetlands
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(9/01/16 - 2/28/17)
- Efficacy of linear wetlands to treat agricultural drainage water in the Little River watershed
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)(3/01/16 - 12/31/17)
- In-stream wetlands as part of the Little River watershed restoration project
- NC Clean Water Management Trust Fund(1/01/16 - 9/15/17)
- Development and promotion of drainage water management systems adapted to maximize crop production in response to climate variability
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) - National Institute of Food and Agriculture(1/01/16 - 12/31/17)
- Comprehensive Wetland Monitoring Network and Spatial Database for North Carolinaâ€™s Coastal Plain and Piedmont Regions
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)(10/01/14 - 9/30/17)
- Eden Area Watershed Modeling Project
- NC Clean Water Management Trust Fund(5/01/13 - 11/30/14)
- Wetland Restoration at Great Dismal Swamp State Park
- US Fish & Wildlife Service(1/01/13 - 2/01/17)
- A Mesocosm Study to Determine Nitrogen Assimilation Capacity of a Restored Wetland Slated to Receive Pumped Drainage Water - a Critical Component to Maximize Improvement to the Pamlico Sound
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(3/01/13 - 2/26/16)
- Predicting Water Quality Impacts of Rerouting Drainage Water From the Pamlico Sound to Restored Wetlands
- NCSU Sea Grant Program(9/01/12 - 8/31/14)
- Assessment of Compensatory Wetlands Mitigation in North Carolina
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)(5/01/12 - 8/31/13)