- Weaver Administration Bldg 104
- View CV
Dr. Garry Grabow, P.E. has expertise in land application of animal and industrial wastewater, irrigation systems and irrigation water management, and water quality monitoring. He provides training to operators of animal waste systems and operators of surface irrigation systems for land application of waste, and also to certified irrigation contractors.
Dr. Grabow’s research interests include irrigation water management, land application of waste and water quality impacts of various land application systems. Grabow is involved in applied research projects that are evaluating the effectiveness of several different “smart” irrigation technologies in turfgrass in both research and homeowner settings. He is also involved in a study that is evaluation the effectiveness of chlorination technologies to disinfect irrigation water for use on fresh produce. He has also led research in subsurface irrigation systems for use in both freshwater and wastewater applications.
Prior to coming to NC State, Dr. Grabow worked for an irrigation district in California and spent 10 years in private water resources consulting. He has previous experience with international consulting including water reuse projects in the Middle East.
Dr. Grabow work with industry has been recognized by the NC Cooperative Extension Foundation and awarded the NC State Grange Search for Excellence Award in 2011. Dr. Grabow serves as Technical Advisor to the North Carolina Irrigation Society and is the UNC University System appointed member to the North Carolina Irrigation Contractor’s Licensing Board.
University of Tennessee
Utah State University
Soil and Water Science
University of California
Irrigation systems for wastewater, agricultural lands and turfgrass, irrigation water management
Honors and Awards
- Carolinas Irrigation Association (CIA) Ron Sneed Award, 2016
- NC Irrigation Award, 2013
- NC State Grange Search for Excellence Award from NC Extension, 2011
- Color, transfer, and application parameters of turfgrass colorants
- Pinnix, G. D., Miller, G. L., Bowman, D. C., & Grabow, G. L. (2018), Agronomy Journal, 110(1), 66–76. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2017.03.0164
- Water conservation potential of smart irrigation technologies in the Catawba-Wateree River Basin
- Vick, R. L., Grabow, G. L., Miller, G. L., & Huffman, R. L. (2017), Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 143(2). https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)ir.1943-4774.0001130
- Residential irrigation water use in the Central Piedmont of North Carolina. I: Measured use and water requirements
- Nautiyal, M., Grabow, G. L., Huffman, R. L., Miller, G. L., & Bowman, D. (2015), Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 141(4). https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)ir.1943-4774.0000819
- Residential irrigation water use in the Central Piedmont of North Carolina. II: Evaluation of smart irrigation technologies
- Nautiyal, M., Grabow, G. L., Huffman, R. L., Miller, G. L., & Bowman, D. (2015), Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 141(4). https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)ir.1943-4774.0000820
- Corn, cotton, and peanut response to tillage and subsurface drip irrigation in north carolina
- Jordan, D. L., Johnson, P. D., Grabow, G. L., & Corbett, T. (2014), Agronomy Journal, 106(3), 962–967. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj13.0486
- Groundwater nitrate concentration reductions in a riparian buffer enrolled in the NC Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program
- Wiseman, J. D., Burchell, M. R., Grabow, G. L., Osmond, D. L., & Messer, T. L. (2014), Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 50(3), 653–664. https://doi.org/10.1111/jawr.12209
- Water application efficiency and adequacy of ET-based and soil moisture-based irrigation controllers for turfgrass irrigation
- Grabow, G. L., Ghali, I. E., Huffman, R. L., Miller, G. L., Bowman, D., & Vasanth, A. (2013), Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 139(2), 113–123. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)ir.1943-4774.0000528
- Factors affecting uniformity of irrigation-type manure application systems
- Liu, Z., Grabow, G. L., Huffman, R. L., Osborne, J., & Evans, R. O. (2012), Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 28(1), 43–56.
- Groundwater nitrate reductions within upstream and downstream sections of a riparian buffer
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., Grabow, G. L., & Osmond, D. L. (2012), Ecological Engineering, 47, 297–307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2012.06.017
- Subsurface drip irrigation: Status of the technology in 2010
- Lamm, F. R., Bordovsky, J. P., Schwankl, L. J., Grabow, G. L., Enciso-Medina, J., Peters, R. T., … Porter, D. O. (2012), Transactions of the ASABE, 55(2), 483–491.
- Using variability within digital images to improve tall fescue color characterization
- Ghali, I. E., Miller, G. L., Grabow, G. L., & Huffman, R. L. (2012), Crop Science, 52(5), 2365–2374. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci2011.10.0553
- SDI dripline spacing effect on corn and soybean yield in a piedmont clay soil
- Grabow, G. L., Huffman, R. L., & Evans, R. O. (2011), Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 137(1), 27–36.
- Swine anaerobic lagoon nutrient concentration variation with season, lagoon level, and rainfall
- Westerman, P. W., Ogejo, J. A., & Grabow, G. L. (2010), (Vol. 26, pp. 147–152).
- Impact of land application method on ammonia loss from hog lagoon effluent
- Shah, S. B., Balla, B. K., Grabow, G. L., Westerman, P. W., & Bailey, D. E. (2009), Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 25(6), 963–973.
- Leaching of nutrients and trace elements from stockpiled turkey litter into soil
- Shah, S. B., Hutchison, K. J., Hesterberg, D. L., Grabow, G. L., Huffman, R. L., Hardy, D. H., & Parsons, J. T. (2009), Journal of Environmental Quality, 38(3), 1053–1065. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2007.0639
- Planning for water allocation and water quality using a spreadsheet-based model
- Grabow, G. L., & McCornick, P. G. (2007), Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 133(6), 560–564. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9496(2007)133:6(560)
- Ammonia adsorption in five types of flexible tubing materials
- Shah, S. B., Grabow, G. L., & Westerman, P. W. (2006), Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 22(6), 919–923.
- Water distribution from a subsurface drip irrigation system and dripline spacing effect on cotton yield and water use efficiency in a coastal plain soil
- Grabow, G. L., Huffman, R. L., Evans, R. O., Jordan, D. L., & Nuti, R. C. (2006), Transactions of the ASABE, 49(6), 1823–1835. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.22303
- Disease management in overhead sprinkler and subsurface drip irrigation systems for peanut
- Lanier, J. E., Jordan, D. L., Barnes, J. S., Matthews, J., Grabow, G. L., Griffin, W. J., … Wells, R. (2004), Agronomy Journal, 96(4), 1058–1065. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2004.1058
- Detecting reductions in sediment loads associated with Ohio's conservation reserve enhancement program
- Richards, R. P., & Grabow, G. L. (2003). Detecting reductions in sediment loads associated with Ohio’s conservation reserve enhancement program. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 39(5), 1261–1268. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2003.tb03707.x,
- Stream gauging of torrential rivers in eastern Eritrea: closure
- Ranki, J. G., Grabow, G. L., & McCornick, P. G. (2001), Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 6(2), 175–176. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0699(2001)6:2(175)
- An empirically-based sequential ground water monitoring network design procedure
- Grabow, G., Yoder, D. C., & Mote, C. R. (2000), Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 36(3), 549–566. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2000.tb04286.x
- Stream gaging of the torrential rivers of Eastern Eritrea
- Grabow, G. L., McCornick, P. G., & Rankl, J. G. (1998), Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 3(3), 211–214.
- On-Farm Water Storage Options for NC
- Cotton, Inc.(1/01/17 - 12/31/18)
- Multidisciplinary Graduate Training in Advanced Technologies for High Yield Sustainable Agriculture
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) - National Institute of Food and Agriculture(6/15/16 - 6/14/19)
- Development and Field Validation of New Sensor Technology for Characterizing Maize Yield Components
- Syngenta Crop Protection, LLC(7/15/15 - 12/31/17)
- Evaluation of Selected Consumer Lawn Tractors for Turf Mowing Characteristics
- Deere & Company(10/15/13 - 10/14/14)
- Comparison of Irrigation Water Management Strategies Under Limited Water Conditions
- Corn Growers Association of NC, Inc.(2/01/14 - 1/31/16)
- Increasing Water Use Efficiency in High Population Corn Systems Grown Under Irrigation
- Corn Growers Association of NC, Inc.(2/01/13 - 1/31/16)
- Irrigation System and Water Management Training to Conserve Water and Reduce Nutrient Losses
- Environmental Defense Fund(10/01/12 - 6/30/14)
- Soil Moisture Management in Drip Irrigated Sweetpotatoes and its Effect on Root Yields and Quality
- NC Sweet Potato Commission(3/01/12 - 2/28/13)
- Preliminary Evaluation of Using Drip Irrigation for Production of Sweetpotatoes in North Carolina
- NC Sweet Potato Commission(3/01/11 - 2/29/12)
- Water Use Efficiency of Soil-Water-Sensor-Controlled Irrigation with a Subsurface Drip Irrigation System Contrasted with Center Pivot Irrigation in a Corn-Wheat-Soybean Crop Rotation
- NC Soybean Producers Association, Inc.(3/01/11 - 11/30/14)