Professor and Department Head
- Weaver Administration Bldg 104
- View CV
Dr. Garey Fox, P.E., D.WRE, joined the Department in January 2017 as Professor and Department Head. Prior to this appointment, he was on the faculty at Oklahoma State University (OSU) in Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering and holder of the Buchanan Endowed Chair. He also previously served as the Director of the Oklahoma Water Resources Center and holder of the Berry Endowed Professorship. His research specializes in stream/aquifer interaction; stream bank erosion and failure; seepage erosion; subsurface nutrient transport; vegetative filter strips; and contaminant transport modeling. His research has been supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US Geological Survey (USGS), and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). He has published over 120 peer-reviewed articles in a number of refereed journals and also served as PI/co-PI on over $26 million in funded grant projects.
Fox was awarded the 2009 James Whatley Award for Meritorious Research in Agricultural Sciences at OSU, the 2010 Halliburton Outstanding Young Faculty Member in the College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology (CEAT) at OSU, the 2011 Sterling Burks Award for Outstanding Environmental Research at OSU, and three national/international awards from the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE): the 2010 New Holland Young Researcher Award, the 2012 A.W. Farrall Young Educator Award, and a 2015 ASABE Leadership Citation from the Natural Resources and Environmental Systems (NRES) Technical Community. Dr. Fox also received a prestigious Oklahoma Excellence in Education Award from the Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence and the 2015 National Award for Excellence in College and University Teaching in the Food and Agricultural Sciences from the USDA Higher Education Programs. Most recently, he was awarded the 2018 ADS/Hancor Soil and Water Engineering Award for his research advancements in surface water/groundwater interaction.
Colorado State University
Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University
Stream/aquifer interaction; stream bank erosion and failure; seepage erosion; subsurface nutrient transport; vegetative filter strips; and contaminant transport modeling.
Honors and Awards
- Food Systems Leadership Institute (FSLI) Cohort 14 Fellow, 2018
- 2018 ADS/Hancor Soil and Water Engineering Award (ASABE), 2018
- Medal for Excellence in University Teaching by Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence, 2016
- Superior Paper Award (ASABE) – Heeren et al. (2015), 2016
- National USDA Food and Agricultural Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award, 2015
- Oklahoma State Regent’s Distinguished Research Award, 2015
- ASABE Educational Aids Blue Ribbon Award for Foundations of Oklahoma Water Video Series, 2015
- ASABE NRES Division Leadership Citation Award, 2015
- Holder of the Thomas E. Berry Endowed Professorship in Integrated Water Resou rces and Management, 2015
- LEAD-21 Class X, 2014
- Two Superior Paper Awards (ASABE) – Al -Madhhachi et al. (2013) and Daly et al. (2013), 2014
- Mortar Board Golden Torch Award (OSU), 2014
- Regents Distinguished Teaching Award (OSU), 2013
- Superior Paper Award (ASABE) – Guzman and Fox (2012), 2013
- Top 20 Science & Engineering Professor in Oklahoma, 2013
- Inaugural Holder of the Buchanan Endowed Chair in Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering (OSU), 2012
- A.W. Farrall Young Educator Award (National Award from ASABE), 2012
- Sterling L. (Bud) Burks Environmental Research Award (OSU Environmental Science Program), 2011
- New Holland Young Researcher Award (National Award from ASABE), 2010
- Halliburton Young Faculty Award (OSU CEAT), 2010
- James Whatley Research Award (OSU DASNR), 2009
- Alpha Epsilon Distinguished Service Award (OSU BAE), 2009
- Alpha Epsilon Distinguished Service Award (OSU BAE), 2008
- University of Mississippi Junior Faculty Award (Ole Miss College of Engineering ), 2005
- USDA National Needs Graduate Fellow (Colorado State University), 2000
- U.S. EPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Graduate Fellow (Texas A&M University), 1998
- Application of fibrous streambank protection against groundwater seepage erosion
- Akay, O., Ozer, A. T., Fox, G. A., & Wilson, G. V. (2018), JOURNAL OF HYDROLOGY, 565, 27–38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2018.08.010
- Controlled laboratory experiments and modeling of vegetative filter strips with shallow water tables
- Fox, G. A., Munoz-Carpena, R., & Purvis, R. A. (2018), Journal of Hydrology, 556, 1–9.
- Effect of vegetative filter strip pesticide residue degradation assumptions for environmental exposure assessments
- Munoz-Carpena, R., Fox, G. A., Ritter, A., Perez-Ovilla, O., & Rodea-Palomares, I. (2018), Science of the Total Environment, 619, 977–987.
- Fiber reinforced sandy slopes under groundwater return flow
- Akay, O., Ozer, A. T., Fox, G. A., & Wilson, G. V. (2018), Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 144(5).
- Impact of Data Availability and Resolution on Long-Term Sedimentation Estimates in a Storage Reservoir
- Guertault, L., & Fox, G. A. (2018), JOURNAL OF HYDROLOGIC ENGINEERING, 23(10). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0001699
- Riparian Vadose Zone Preferential Flow: Review of Concepts, Limitations, and Perspectives
- Orozco-Lopez, E., Munoz-Carpena, R., Gao, B., & Fox, G. A. (2018), VADOSE ZONE JOURNAL, 17(1). https://doi.org/10.2136/vzj2018.02.0031
- Sediment detachment and transport processes associated with internal erosion of soil pipes
- Wilson, G. V., Wells, R., Kuhnle, R., Fox, G., & Nieber, J. (2018), Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 43(1), 45–63.
- Streambank Erosion: Advances in Monitoring, Modeling and Management
- Castro-Bolinaga, C. F., & Fox, G. A. (2018), WATER, 10(10). https://doi.org/10.3390/w10101346
- Suitability of a linear model for predicting cohesive soil detachment during jet erosion tests
- Wardinski, K. M., Guertault, L., Fox, G. A., & Castro-Bolinaga, C. F. (2018), Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 23(9).
- A modeling framework for evaluating streambank stabilization practices for reach-scale sediment reduction
- Enlow, H. K., Fox, G. A., Boyer, T. A., Stoecker, A., Storm, D. E., Starks, P., & Guertault, L. (2018), Environmental Modelling Review & Software: With Environmental Data News, 100, 201–212.
- Determining Instream Flows Needed to Support the Federally-threatened Arkansas River Shiner Notropis Girardi and Associated Assemblage
- US Geological Survey (USGS)(8/01/18 - 12/31/19)
- REU Site: Evaluating the Effectiveness of a Stream Restoration Project Based on Natural Channel Design Using Process-Based Investigations
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(3/01/17 - 8/01/18)
- Influence of Preferential Flow on Coupled Colloid, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus Transport Through Riparian Buffers
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) - National Institute of Food and Agriculture(11/15/16 - 11/14/19)