Professor and Department Head
- Weaver Administration Bldg 104
- View CV
Dr. Garey Fox, P.E., D.WRE, joined the Department in January 2017 as Professor and Department Head. Prior to this appointment, he was on the faculty at Oklahoma State University (OSU) in Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering and holder of the Buchanan Endowed Chair. He also previously served as the Director of the Oklahoma Water Resources Center and holder of the Berry Endowed Professorship. His research specializes in stream/aquifer interaction; stream bank erosion and failure; seepage erosion; subsurface nutrient transport; vegetative filter strips; and contaminant transport modeling. His research has been supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US Geological Survey (USGS), and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). He has published over 115 peer-reviewed articles in a number of refereed journals and also served as PI/co-PI on over $26 million in funded grant projects.
Fox was awarded the 2009 James Whatley Award for Meritorious Research in Agricultural Sciences at OSU, the 2010 Halliburton Outstanding Young Faculty Member in the College of Engineering, Architecture and Technology (CEAT) at OSU, the 2011 Sterling Burks Award for Outstanding Environmental Research at OSU, and three national/international awards from the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE): the 2010 New Holland Young Researcher Award, the 2012 A.W. Farrall Young Educator Award, and a 2015 ASABE Leadership Citation from the Natural Resources and Environmental Systems (NRES) Technical Community. Dr. Fox also received a prestigious Oklahoma Excellence in Education Award from the Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence and the 2015 National Award for Excellence in College and University Teaching in the Food and Agricultural Sciences from the USDA Higher Education Programs.
Colorado State University
Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University
Stream/aquifer interaction; stream bank erosion and failure; seepage erosion; subsurface nutrient transport; vegetative filter strips; and contaminant transport modeling.
Honors and Awards
- Medal for Excellence in University Teaching by Oklahoma Foundation for Excellence, 2016
- Superior Paper Award (ASABE) – Heeren et al. (2015), 2016
- National USDA Food and Agricultural Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award, 2015
- Oklahoma State Regent’s Distinguished Research Award, 2015
- ASABE Educational Aids Blue Ribbon Award for Foundations of Oklahoma Water Video Series, 2015
- ASABE NRES Division Leadership Citation Award, 2015
- Holder of the Thomas E. Berry Endowed Professorship in Integrated Water Resou rces and Management, 2015
- LEAD -21 Class X, 2014
- Two Superior Paper Awards (ASABE) – Al -Madhhachi et al. (2013) and Daly et al. (2013), 2014
- Mortar Board Golden Torch Award (OSU), 2014
- Regents Distinguished Teaching Award (OSU), 2013
- Superior Paper Award (ASABE) – Guzman and Fox (2012), 2013
- Top 20 Science & Engineering Professor in Oklahoma, 2013
- Inaugural Holder of the Buchanan Endowed Chair in Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering (OSU), 2012
- A.W. Farrall Young Educator Award (National Award from ASABE), 2012
- Sterling L. (Bud) Burks Environmental Research Award (OSU E nvironmental Science Program), 2011
- New Holland Young Researcher Award (National Award from ASABE), 2010
- Halliburton Young Faculty Award (OSU CEAT), 2010
- James Whatley Research Award (OSU DASNR), 2009
- Alpha Epsilon Distinguished Service Award (OSU BAE), 2009
- Alpha Epsilon Distinguished Service Award (OSU BAE), 2008
- University of Mississippi Junior Faculty Award (Ole Miss College of Engineering ), 2005
- USDA Natio nal Needs Graduate Fellow (Colorado State University, 2000
- U.S. EPA Science to Achieve Results ( STAR ) Graduate Fellow (Texas A&M University), 1998
- Watershed variability in streambank erodibility and implications for erosion prediction
- Enlow, H. K., Fox, G. A., & Guertault, L. (2017), Water, 9(8).
- Impact of macropores and gravel outcrops on phosphorus leaching at the plot scale in silt loam soils
- Heeren, D. M., Fox, G. A., Penn, C. J., Halihan, T., Storm, D. E., & Haggard, B. E. (2017), Transactions of the ASABE, 60(3), 823-835.
- Hydrologic connectivity and threshold behavior of hillslopes with fragipans and soil pipe networks
- Wilson, G., Nieber, J. L., Fox, G. A., Dabney, S. M., Ursic, M., & Rigby, J. R. (2017), Hydrological Processes, 31(13), 2477-2496.
- The importance of scientific publishing: Teaching an undergraduate how to swim the entire length of the pool
- Fox, G. A., Kuster, E. L., & Fox, A. K. (2017), Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 160(1), 1-4.
- Erodibility parameters derived from jet and flume erosion tests on root-permeated soils
- McNichol, B., Kassa, K., Fox, G., Miller, R., & Guertault, L. (2017), Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 160(1), 119-131.
- Current state of climate education in natural and social sciences in the USA
- Kuster, E. L., & Fox, G. A. (2017), Climatic Change, 141(4), 613-626.
- REU Site: Evaluating the Effectiveness of a Stream Restoration Project Based on Natural Channel Design Using Process-Based Investigations
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(3/01/17 - 8/01/18)
- Influence of Preferential Flow on Coupled Colloid, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus Transport Through Riparian Buffers
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) - National Institute of Food and Agriculture(11/15/16 - 11/14/19)