Adjunct Assoc Professor
Research Hydrologist, USDA Forest Service
USDA Forest Service,
Center for Forested Wetlands Research
2730 Savannah Highway
Charleston, SC 29414
Biological and Agricultural Engineering
NC State University
Lumumba University, India
Hydrology of low-gradient managed forests and naturally drained forests, Hydrology of forested wetlands, Specific research on runoff and evapotranspiration dynamics of coastal forests (freshwater and tidal), Hydrologic and water quality studies on effects of land and water management, prescribed/wild fire, land use change, climate variability and change, sea level rise, and extreme events on low-gradient coastal landscapes from freshwater to tidally affected landscapes using monitoring and modeling approaches, Assessment of long-term trends and variability in hydrology and their potential applications in developing and testing hydrology and water quality models for terrestrial freshwater lands linked to the downstream tidal marshes/estuaries, Application of remote sensing tools and products for watershed hydrologic modeling, Specific modeling tools for research: DRAINMOD, SWAT, MIKESHE, and SWMM
- Sensitivity analysis of the DRAINWAT model applied to an agricultural watershed in the lower coastal plain, North Carolina, USA
- Kim, H., Amatya, D. M., Broome, S. W., Hesterberg, D. L., & Choi, M. (2012), Water and Environment Journal, 26(1), 130-145.
- Modeling water, carbon, and nitrogen dynamics for two drained pine plantations under intensive management practices
- Tian, S. Y., Youssef, M. A., Skaggs, R. W., Amatya, D. M., & Chescheir, G. M. (2012), Forest Ecology and Management, 264, 20-36.
- Energy and water balance of two contrasting loblolly pine plantations on the lower coastal plain of North Carolina, USA
- Sun, G., Noormets, A., Gavazzi, M. J., McNulty, S. G., Chen, J., Domec, J. C., King, J. S., Amatya, D. M., & Skaggs, R. W. (2010), (Forest Ecology and Management, 259 7) (pp. 1299-1310).
- Nitrogen balance for a plantation forest drainage canal on the North Carolina coastal plain
- Appelboom, T. W., Chescheir, G. M., Skaggs, R. W., Gilliam, J. W., & Amatya, D. M. (2008), (Transactions of the ASABE, 51 4) (pp. 1215-1233).
- Simulation of the hydrologic effects of afforestation in the Tacuarembo River basin, Uruguay
- von Stackelberg, N. O., Chescheir, G. M., Skaggs, R. W., & Amatya, D. M. (2007), Transactions of the ASABE, 50(2), 455-468.
- Application of DRAINMOD-GIS to a lower coastal plain watershed
- Fernandez, G., Chescheir, G. M., Skaggs, R. W., & Amatya, D. M. (2007), Transactions of the ASABE, 50(2), 439-447.
- Hydrology and water quality of forested lands in eastern North Carolina
- Chescheir, G. M., Lebo, M. E., Amatya, D. M., Hughes, J., Gilliam, J. W., Skaggs, R. W., & Herrmann, R. B. (2003), Raleigh, N.C. : N.C. Agricultural Research Service, N.C. State University.
- Effects of orifice-weir outlet on hydrology and water quality of a drained forested watershed
- Amatya, D. M., Skaggs, R. W., Gilliam, J. W., & Hughes, J. H. (2003), Southern Journal of Applied Forestry, 27(2), 130-142.
- Watgis: A GIS-based lumped parameter water quality model
- Fernandez, G. P., Chescheir, G. M., Skaggs, R. W., & Amatya, D. M. (2002), Transactions of the ASAE, 45(3), 593-600.
- A comparison of the watershed hydrology of coastal forested wetlands and the mountainous uplands in the Southern US
- Sun, G., Mcnulty, S. G., Amatya, D. M., Skaggs, R. W., Swift, L. W., Shepard, J. P., & Riekerk, H. (2002), Journal of Hydrology, 263(1-4), 92-104.