Biological and Agricultural Engineering
North Carolina State University
Ecole Nationale Supérieure Agronomique de Rennes, France
Biogeochemical processes for ecologically engineered and natural systems; Impacts of land use changes on hydrology and water quality at the watershed scale; Wetland and stream monitoring, restoration and modeling; Continuous sensor development and metrology; UV-vis spectrometry for continuous water quality measurements; Image-based sensors; Evaluation of nutrient load uncertainties at the watershed scale.
Honors and Awards
- University Faculty Scholar, 2018
- NC State Kenneth R. Keller Research Award for graduate excellence, 2000
- A small-volume multiplexed pumping system for automated, high-frequency water chemistry measurements in volume-limited applications
- Maxwell, B. M., Birgand, F., Smith, B., & Aveni-Deforge, K. (2018), HYDROLOGY AND EARTH SYSTEM SCIENCES, 22(11), 5615–5628. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-22-5615-2018
- Contrasting suspended sediment export in two small agricultural catchments: Cross-influence of hydrological behaviour and landscape degradation or stream bank management
- Vongvixay, A., Grimaldi, C., Dupas, R., Fovet, O., Birgand, F., Gilliet, N., & Gascuel-Odoux, C. (2018), Land Degradation & Development, 29(5), 1385–1396.
- Stream response to an extreme drought-induced defoliation event
- Addy, K., Gold, A. J., Loffredo, J. A., Schroth, A. W., Inamdar, S. P., Bowden, W. B., … Birgand, F. (2018), BIOGEOCHEMISTRY, 140(2), 199–215. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10533-018-0485-3
- Calibration of paired watersheds: Utility of moving sums in presence of externalities
- Ssegane, H., Amatya, D. M., Muwamba, A., Chescheir, G. M., Appelboom, T., Tollner, E. W., … Skaggs, R. W. (2017), Hydrological Processes, 31(20), 3458–3471. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.11248
- Comparison of four nitrate removal kinetic models in two distinct wetland restoration mesocosm systems
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2017), Water, 9(7).
- Comparison of four nitrate removal kinetic models in two distinct wetland restoration mesocosm systems (vol 9, 517, 2017)
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2017),
- High-frequency dissolved organic carbon and nitrate measurements reveal differences in storm hysteresis and loading in relation to land cover and seasonality
- Vaughan, M. C. H., Bowden, W. B., Shanley, J. B., Vermilyea, A., Sleeper, R., Gold, A. J., … Schroth, A. W. (2017), Water Resources Research, 53(7), 5345–5363.
- Nitrate removal potential of restored wetlands loaded with agricultural drainage water: A mesocosm scale experimental approach
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., Birgand, F., Broome, S. W., & Chescheir, G. (2017), Ecological Engineering, 106, 541–554.
- Water quality effects of switchgrass intercropping on pine forest in Coastal North Carolina
- Muwamba, A., Amatya, D. M., Chescheir, G. M., Nettles, J. E., Appelboom, T., Ssegane, H., … Tian, S. (2017), Transactions of the ASABE, 60(5), 1607–1620. https://doi.org/10.13031/trans.12181
- First report of a novel multiplexer pumping system coupled to a water quality probe to collect high temporal frequency in situ water chemistry measurements at multiple sites
- Birgand, F., Aveni-Deforge, K., Smith, B., Maxwell, B., Horstman, M., Gerling, A. B., & Carey, C. C. (2016), Limnology and Oceanography-Methods, 14(12), 767–783.
- Improving performance and examining expansion of constructed wetlands for tertiary treatment of nitrogen from domestic and municipal wastewater
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(6/01/18 - 5/29/19)
- Collaborative Research: Consequences of Changing Oxygen Availability for Carbon Cycling in Freshwater Ecosystems
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(9/01/18 - 8/31/22)
- Continuing Intensive Monitoring of Nutrient and Material Load in Claridge Nursery Stream â€œThe Canalâ€: assessing the water quality impacts & benefits of a stream restoration in the coastal plain
- NC Department of Transportation(8/01/16 - 7/31/19)
- Quantifying Treatment Potential of Floating Treatment Wetlands to Benefit North Carolina Waters Using Improved Methodology and Novel Technology
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(4/01/16 - 8/31/18)
- Arsenic Treatment of Contaminated Water Using Surface-Functionalized Fabrics
- NCSU Center for Human Health and the Environment(7/01/16 - 6/30/17)
- Using Smart Control and Real-Time Data Collection to Improve SCM Design and Performance
- NC Clean Water Management Trust Fund(10/04/16 - 7/31/20)
- Transforming Denitrifying Bioreactor Research and Applications: Unveiling the Inside of the Blackbox
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) - National Institute of Food and Agriculture(6/15/16 - 6/14/19)
- Intensive Monitoring of Nutrient and Material Load in Claridge Nursery Stream ?The Canal? Pre-,During and Post Construction of Highway 70 Bypass in Wayne County, NC
- NC Department of Transportation(5/16/13 - 6/30/16)
- A Mesocosm Study to Determine Nitrogen Assimilation Capacity of a Restored Wetland Slated to Receive Pumped Drainage Water - a Critical Component to Maximize Improvement to the Pamlico Sound
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(3/01/13 - 2/26/16)
- Predicting Water Quality Impacts of Rerouting Drainage Water From the Pamlico Sound to Restored Wetlands
- NCSU Sea Grant Program(9/01/12 - 8/31/14)