Biological and Agricultural Engineering
North Carolina State University
Ecole Nationale Supérieure Agronomique de Rennes, France
Biogeochemical processes for ecologically engineered and natural systems; Impacts of land use changes on hydrology and water quality at the watershed scale; Wetland and stream monitoring, restoration and modeling; Continuous sensor development and metrology; UV-vis spectrometry for continuous water quality measurements; Image-based sensors; Evaluation of nutrient load uncertainties at the watershed scale.
Honors and Awards
- NC State Kenneth R. Keller Research Award for graduate excellence, 2000
- First report of a novel multiplexer pumping system coupled to a water quality probe to collect high temporal frequency in situ water chemistry measurements at multiple sites
- Birgand, F., Aveni-Deforge, K., Smith, B., Maxwell, B., Horstman, M., Gerling, A. B., & Carey, C. C. (2016), Limnology and oceanography-methods, 14(12), 767-783.
- Greenhouse gas emissions from a created brackish marsh in eastern North Carolina
- Shiau, Y. J., Burchell, M., Krauss, K., Birgand, F., & Broome, S. (2016), Wetlands (Wilmington, N.C.), 36(6), 1009-1024.
- In-situ falling-head test for hydraulic conductivity: Evaluation in layered sediments of an analysis derived for homogenous sediments
- Burnette, M. C., Genereux, D. P., & Birgand, F. (2016), Journal of Hydrology, 539, 319-329.
- Quantifying the fate of agricultural nitrogen in an unconfined aquifer: Stream-based observations at three measurement scales
- Gilmore, T. E., Genereux, D. P., Solomon, D. K., Solder, J. E., Kimball, B. A., Mitasova, H., & Birgand, F. (2016), Water Resources Research, 52(3), 1961-1983.
- Effects of site preparation for pine forest/switchgrass intercropping on water quality
- Muwamba, A., Amatya, D. M., Ssegane, H., Chescheir, G. M., Appelboom, T., Tollner, E. W., Nettles, J. E., Youssef, M. A., Birgand, F., Skaggs, R. W., & Tian, S. (2015), Journal of Environmental Quality, 44(4), 1263-1272.
- Seasonal variation in the quality of dissolved and particulate organic matter exchanged between a salt marsh and its adjacent estuary
- Osburn, C. L., Mikan, M. P., Etheridge, J. R., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2015), Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, 120(7), 1430-1449.
- Quantifying nutrient and suspended solids fluxes in a constructed tidal marsh following rainfall: The value of capturing the rapid changes in flow and concentrations
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., & Burchell, M. R. (2015), Ecological Engineering, 78, 41-52.
- Amending irrigation channels with jute-mesh structures to decrease arsenic loading to rice fields in Bangladesh
- Polizzotto, M. L., Birgand, F., Badruzzaman, A. B. M., & Ali, M. A. (2015), Ecological Engineering, 74, 101-106.
- Technical note: Alternative in-stream denitrification equation for the INCA-N model
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., Burchell, M. R., Lepisto, A., Rankinen, K., & Granlund, K. (2014), Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 18(4), 1467-1473.
- Using in situ ultraviolet-visual spectroscopy to measure nitrogen, carbon, phosphorus, and suspended solids concentrations at a high frequency in a brackish tidal marsh
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., Osborne, J. A., Osburn, C. L., Burchell, M. R., & Irving, J. (2014), Limnology and oceanography-methods, 12, 10-22.
- Continuing Intensive Monitoring of Nutrient and Material Load in Claridge Nursery Stream â€œThe Canalâ€: assessing the water quality impacts & benefits of a stream restoration in the coastal plain
- NC Department of Transportation(8/01/16 - 7/31/19)
- Quantifying Treatment Potential of Floating Treatment Wetlands to Benefit North Carolina Waters Using Improved Methodology and Novel Technology
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(4/01/16 - 3/31/17)
- Arsenic Treatment of Contaminated Water Using Surface-Functionalized Fabrics
- NCSU Center for Human Health and the Environment(7/01/16 - 6/30/17)
- Transforming Denitrifying Bioreactor Research and Applications: Unveiling the Inside of the Blackbox
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) - National Institute of Food and Agriculture(6/15/16 - 6/14/19)
- Intensive Monitoring of Nutrient and Material Load in Claridge Nursery Stream ?The Canal? Pre-,During and Post Construction of Highway 70 Bypass in Wayne County, NC
- NC Department of Transportation(5/16/13 - 6/30/16)
- A Mesocosm Study to Determine Nitrogen Assimilation Capacity of a Restored Wetland Slated to Receive Pumped Drainage Water - a Critical Component to Maximize Improvement to the Pamlico Sound
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(3/01/13 - 2/26/16)
- Predicting Water Quality Impacts of Rerouting Drainage Water From the Pamlico Sound to Restored Wetlands
- NCSU Sea Grant Program(9/01/12 - 8/31/14)
- Effects of Biofuel Planting, Growth, and Harvesting on the Hydrology and Water Quality of Pine Plantations
- Weyerhaeuser NR Company (subsidiary of Weyerhaeuser)(4/19/12 - 12/31/15)
- Carbon Sequestration and Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Restored Salt Marshes
- US Geological Survey (USGS)(8/01/11 - 1/31/14)
- Design and Implementation of an Innovative Integrated Water management system in Hyde County, NC: Phase I
- NC Clean Water Management Trust Fund(2/01/11 - 4/01/17)