Biological and Agricultural Engineering
North Carolina State University
Ecole Nationale Supérieure Agronomique de Rennes, France
Biogeochemical processes for ecologically engineered and natural systems; Impacts of land use changes on hydrology and water quality at the watershed scale; Wetland and stream monitoring, restoration and modeling; Continuous sensor development and metrology; UV-vis spectrometry for continuous water quality measurements; Image-based sensors; Evaluation of nutrient load uncertainties at the watershed scale.
Honors and Awards
- University Faculty Scholar, 2018
- NC State Kenneth R. Keller Research Award for graduate excellence, 2000
- A small-volume multiplexed pumping system for automated, high-frequency water chemistry measurements in volume-limited applications
- Maxwell, B. M., Birgand, F., Smith, B., & Aveni-Deforge, K. (2018), HYDROLOGY AND EARTH SYSTEM SCIENCES, 22(11), 5615–5628. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-22-5615-2018
- Contrasting suspended sediment export in two small agricultural catchments: Cross-influence of hydrological behaviour and landscape degradation or stream bank management
- Vongvixay, A., Grimaldi, C., Dupas, R., Fovet, O., Birgand, F., Gilliet, N., & Gascuel-Odoux, C. (2018), Land Degradation & Development, 29(5), 1385–1396.
- Stream response to an extreme drought-induced defoliation event
- Addy, K., Gold, A. J., Loffredo, J. A., Schroth, A. W., Inamdar, S. P., Bowden, W. B., … Birgand, F. (2018), BIOGEOCHEMISTRY, 140(2), 199–215. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10533-018-0485-3
- Calibration of paired watersheds: Utility of moving sums in presence of externalities
- Ssegane, H., Amatya, D. M., Muwamba, A., Chescheir, G. M., Appelboom, T., Tollner, E. W., … Skaggs, R. W. (2017), Hydrological Processes, 31(20), 3458–3471. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.11248
- Comparison of four nitrate removal kinetic models in two distinct wetland restoration mesocosm systems
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2017), Water, 9(7).
- Comparison of four nitrate removal kinetic models in two distinct wetland restoration mesocosm systems (vol 9, 517, 2017)
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2017),
- High-frequency dissolved organic carbon and nitrate measurements reveal differences in storm hysteresis and loading in relation to land cover and seasonality
- Vaughan, M. C. H., Bowden, W. B., Shanley, J. B., Vermilyea, A., Sleeper, R., Gold, A. J., … Schroth, A. W. (2017), Water Resources Research, 53(7), 5345–5363.
- Nitrate removal potential of restored wetlands loaded with agricultural drainage water: A mesocosm scale experimental approach
- Messer, T. L., Burchell, M. R., Birgand, F., Broome, S. W., & Chescheir, G. (2017), Ecological Engineering, 106, 541–554.
- Water quality effects of switchgrass intercropping on pine forest in Coastal North Carolina
- Muwamba, A., Amatya, D. M., Chescheir, G. M., Nettles, J. E., Appelboom, T., Ssegane, H., … Tian, S. (2017), Transactions of the ASABE, 60(5), 1607–1620. https://doi.org/10.13031/trans.12181
- First report of a novel multiplexer pumping system coupled to a water quality probe to collect high temporal frequency in situ water chemistry measurements at multiple sites
- Birgand, F., Aveni-Deforge, K., Smith, B., Maxwell, B., Horstman, M., Gerling, A. B., & Carey, C. C. (2016), Limnology and Oceanography-Methods, 14(12), 767–783.
- Greenhouse gas emissions from a created brackish marsh in eastern North Carolina
- Shiau, Y. J., Burchell, M., Krauss, K., Birgand, F., & Broome, S. (2016), Wetlands (Wilmington, N.C.), 36(6), 1009–1024. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13157-016-0815-y
- In-situ falling-head test for hydraulic conductivity: Evaluation in layered sediments of an analysis derived for homogenous sediments
- Burnette, M. C., Genereux, D. P., & Birgand, F. (2016), Journal of Hydrology, 539, 319–329.
- Quantifying the fate of agricultural nitrogen in an unconfined aquifer: Stream-based observations at three measurement scales
- Gilmore, T. E., Genereux, D. P., Solomon, D. K., Solder, J. E., Kimball, B. A., Mitasova, H., & Birgand, F. (2016), Water Resources Research, 52(3), 1961–1983.
- Amending irrigation channels with jute-mesh structures to decrease arsenic loading to rice fields in Bangladesh
- Polizzotto, M. L., Birgand, F., Badruzzaman, A. B. M., & Ali, M. A. (2015), Ecological Engineering, 74, 101–106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2014.10.030
- Effects of site preparation for pine forest/switchgrass intercropping on water quality
- Muwamba, A., Amatya, D. M., Ssegane, H., Chescheir, G. M., Appelboom, T., Tollner, E. W., … Tian, S. (2015), Journal of Environmental Quality, 44(4), 1263–1272. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2014.11.0505
- Quantifying nutrient and suspended solids fluxes in a constructed tidal marsh following rainfall: The value of capturing the rapid changes in flow and concentrations
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., & Burchell, M. R. (2015), Ecological Engineering, 78, 41–52.
- Seasonal variation in the quality of dissolved and particulate organic matter exchanged between a salt marsh and its adjacent estuary
- Osburn, C. L., Mikan, M. P., Etheridge, J. R., Burchell, M. R., & Birgand, F. (2015), Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, 120(7), 1430–1449.
- Reducing uncertainty in the calibration and validation of the INCA-N model by using soft data
- Etheridge, J. R., Lepisto, A., Granlund, K., Rankinen, K., Birgand, F., & Burchell, M. R. (2014), Hydrology Research, 45(1), 73–88.
- Technical note: Alternative in-stream denitrification equation for the INCA-N model
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., Burchell, M. R., Lepisto, A., Rankinen, K., & Granlund, K. (2014), Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 18(4), 1467–1473.
- Using in situ ultraviolet-visual spectroscopy to measure nitrogen, carbon, phosphorus, and suspended solids concentrations at a high frequency in a brackish tidal marsh
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., Osborne, J. A., Osburn, C. L., Burchell, M. R., & Irving, J. (2014), Limnology and Oceanography-Methods, 12, 10–22.
- Addressing the fouling of in situ ultraviolet-visual spectrometers used to continuously monitor water quality in brackish tidal marsh waters
- Etheridge, J. R., Birgand, F., Burchell, M. R., & Smith, B. T. (2013), Journal of Environmental Quality, 42(6), 1896–1901.
- Analysis of consecutive events for nutrient and sediment treatment in field-monitored bioretention cells
- Brown, R. A., Birgand, F., & Hunt, W. F. (2013), Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, 224(6).
- Factors controlling nitrate concentrations in surface waters of an artificially drained agricultural watershed
- Billy, C., Birgand, F., Ansart, P., Peschard, J., Sebilo, M., & Tournebize, J. (2013), Landscape Ecology, 28(4), 665–684.
- Measuring flow in non-ideal conditions for short-term projects: Uncertainties associated with the use of stage-discharge rating curves
- Birgand, F., Lellouche, G., & Appelboom, T. W. (2013), Journal of Hydrology, 503, 186–195.
- River flux uncertainties predicted by hydrological variability and riverine material behaviour
- Moatar, F., Meybeck, M., Raymond, S., Birgand, F., & Curie, F. (2013), Hydrological Processes, 27(25), 3535–3546.
- Source and magnitude of error in an inexpensive image-based water level measurement system
- Gilmore, T. E., Birgand, F., & Chapman, K. W. (2013), Journal of Hydrology, 496, 178–186.
- Estimating nitrogen, phosphorus, and carbon fluxes in forested and mixed-use watersheds of the lower coastal plain of north carolina: uncertainties associated with infrequent sampling
- Birgand, F., Appelboom, T. W., Chescheir, G. M., & Skaggs, R. W. (2011), Transactions of the ASABE, 54(6), 2099–2110. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.40668
- Uncertainties in assessing annual nitrate loads and concentration indicators: Part 2. deriving sampling frequency charts in Brittany, France
- Birgand, F., Faucheux, C., Gruau, G., Moatar, F., & Meybeck, M. (2011), Transactions of the ASABE, 54(1), 93–104.
- Effect of pipe pressurization on the discharge of a tile drainage system
- Henine, H., Nedelec, Y., Augeard, B., Birgand, F., Chaumont, C., Ribstein, P., & Kao, C. (2010), Vadose Zone Journal, 9(1), 36–42.
- Temperature coefficient for modeling denitrification in surface water sediments using the mass transfer coefficient
- Appelboom, T. W., Chescheir, G. M., Birgand, F., Skaggs, R. W., Gilliam, J. W., & Amatya, D. (2010), Transactions of the ASABE, 53(2), 465–474. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.29578
- Uncertainties in assessing annual nitrate loads and concentration indicators: Part 1. impact of sampling frequency and load estimation algorithms
- Birgand, F., Faucheux, C., Gruau, G., Augeard, B., Moatar, F., & Bordenave, P. (2010), (Vol. 53, pp. 437–446).
- Nitrogen removal in streams of agricultural catchments - A literature review
- Birgand, F., Skaggs, R. W., Chescheir, G. M., & Gilliam, J. W. (2007), Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology, 37(5), 381–487. https://doi.org/10.1080/10643380600966426
- Improving performance and examining expansion of constructed wetlands for tertiary treatment of nitrogen from domestic and municipal wastewater
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(6/01/18 - 5/29/19)
- Collaborative Research: Consequences of Changing Oxygen Availability for Carbon Cycling in Freshwater Ecosystems
- National Science Foundation (NSF)(9/01/18 - 8/31/22)
- Continuing Intensive Monitoring of Nutrient and Material Load in Claridge Nursery Stream â€œThe Canalâ€: assessing the water quality impacts & benefits of a stream restoration in the coastal plain
- NC Department of Transportation(8/01/16 - 7/31/19)
- Quantifying Treatment Potential of Floating Treatment Wetlands to Benefit North Carolina Waters Using Improved Methodology and Novel Technology
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(4/01/16 - 8/31/18)
- Arsenic Treatment of Contaminated Water Using Surface-Functionalized Fabrics
- NCSU Center for Human Health and the Environment(7/01/16 - 6/30/17)
- Using Smart Control and Real-Time Data Collection to Improve SCM Design and Performance
- NC Clean Water Management Trust Fund(10/04/16 - 7/31/20)
- Transforming Denitrifying Bioreactor Research and Applications: Unveiling the Inside of the Blackbox
- US Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) - National Institute of Food and Agriculture(6/15/16 - 6/14/19)
- Intensive Monitoring of Nutrient and Material Load in Claridge Nursery Stream ?The Canal? Pre-,During and Post Construction of Highway 70 Bypass in Wayne County, NC
- NC Department of Transportation(5/16/13 - 6/30/16)
- A Mesocosm Study to Determine Nitrogen Assimilation Capacity of a Restored Wetland Slated to Receive Pumped Drainage Water - a Critical Component to Maximize Improvement to the Pamlico Sound
- NCSU Water Resources Research Institute(3/01/13 - 2/26/16)
- Predicting Water Quality Impacts of Rerouting Drainage Water From the Pamlico Sound to Restored Wetlands
- NCSU Sea Grant Program(9/01/12 - 8/31/14)