Frequently Asked Questions

What types of projects will NCDOT be requiring a certified person?

Any contracted project by NCDOT that has an erosion control (E&SC) plan.

How often is recertification required?

All certifications will expire on December 31 of the 3rd year following examination. For example, if a person takes a course on January 22, 2008 and passes the certification exam, the certification for that person will expire on December 31, 2011. In comparison, the person’s certification from December 15, 2008 will also expire on December 31, 2011.

Does the Site Management Workshop cover everything that is offered at the Installer/Inspector Workshop?

No, they are two separate workshops addressing two separate issues and two different audiences. The course materials are different. The Installer/Inspector covers the installation of erosion and sediment control devices such as basins, rock check dams, seeding and mulching, etc. The Site Management covers permit requirements, consequences of violation, risk assessment, how to be in compliance with requirements, changes in plan, and project administration.

Will an employee need to take one or two classes?

You do not need to take Level I to take Level II to take Level III. The workshops have separate audiences. Please read the course announcements and determine the necessary workshop based on your function on the NCDOT project. Attendees do no have to take all four classes, only the class that pertains to his/her work or responsibility.

Can a Level II Foreman substitute for a Level I Installer?

Per the E&SC/Stormwater Certification Special Provisions for NCDOT Contracts: "If a Certified Installer is not onsite, the Contractor may substitute a Level I Installer with a Level II Foreman, provided the Level II Foreman is not tasked to another crew requiring Level II Foreman oversight."

Where do I find the Erosion & Sediment Control/Stormwater Certification Special Provision for DOT Contracts?

Please view the PDF file by clicking this link.

Do Professional Engineers need to be certified with NCDOT?

Yes, this certification is required for all NCDOT projects.

If I am a CPESC (or CPSWQ), do I need to become certified through NCDOT's certification program also?

For Levels I or II, the CPESC or CPSWQ certifications may be used as a substitute. This does NOT apply to Level III (Design).
For reciprocity, please send your current CPESC or CPEWQ certification number to Ms. Tanner will confirm with the board that you are in good standing prior to issuing reciprocity.

Is another state's Erosion Control/Stormwater Certification acceptable as a substitute by NCDOT?


How many people should attend from our company and how many certified people will be required to on a NCDOT project?

There may be several certified people on one project depending on the type of work being done and if there are any subcontractors. For example, there may be a grading contractor, a bridge contractor, and a seeding contractor all on the same project. In addition, there are NCDOT personnel. Each operation requires a certified person to direct their respective portions of overall work.

Can I be exempted from the training and only sit for the certification examination?

Yes, but only for Levels I and II. Please contact Christina Shepard at (919)513-2192 to schedule an exam.

Are these courses taught in Spanish?


Is this certification required by law? Do counties and other units of government have to participate to ensure their funding?

This is not required by law. It will not impact funding. This initiative is to ensure compliance with permit requirements and to ensure consistency on projects. As a component of NCDOT's Environmental Stewardship Policy, the department will strive to provide the highest level of protection for the natural resources of our state. The goal is to provide timely program delivery with environmental excellence on all projects.

Can my company sponsor a workshop at a facility of my selection?

We do not offer private training. Please look at our schedule for the next available class.

How many PDH's are offered for this course?

Four (4) contact hours are offered for Level One, six (6) contact hours are offered for Level Two, seven (7) contact hours for Level III. A sign-in sheet will be provided for you to sign if you are a NC PE or PLS. You must self report if your PE or PLS is from another state or of you have a CPESC or CPSWQ as we do not send in a list of attendees to these registration boards.

What happens when enough people do not sign up for a class?

Classes with limited registration (less than 25) will be canceled one week prior to the workshop date. Registrants will be asked to move to a future class. Thank you for your cooperation.

How do I handle the Level III certification if I am currently certified for Level III-A or III-B?

The Level III certification course replaces the old Levels III-A and III-B and fulfills all requirements of both of those previous certifications. If you were certified for either III-A or III-B, you will take the Level III course to become recertified with a new Level III certification number effective on the date you pass the examination.