About the Research Shop...
machine partsThe BAE Research Shop, located in 130 Weaver Labs in the Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, is a full-service 7,500 square foot facility that provides machining, fabrication and assembly of functional items and prototype equipment in support of BAE, other CALS departments, other University colleges and departments, as well as Facilities Operations maintenance support units. We also offer services to other State of North Carolina departments and Federal / USDA groups as our work load allows.
Parts and prototypes are fabricated from ferrous and non-ferrous metals, plastics, and wood. We make small one-of- a kind specialty parts to large-scale fully operational projects used in lab and field research.
Products are requested by NCSU faculty, staff, and graduate students to aid them in their research process.
Why the Research Shop is Unique...
- Unlike many other facilities, the size of a project seldom becomes a problem for our facility. The Research Shop at Weaver Labs has one of the largest work areas on the NCSU campus. Therefore, this shop doesn't usually restrict the height and weight of projects. Projects that are built here or that are sent to the shop for repair or modification can be easily moved and accommodated through the extra-large garage door opening.
- The addition of our new three axis Proto Trak CNC vertical milling machine. The Proto Trak can be programmed from the controller for simple 2 axis applications. Our Instrument Makers use ProE / NC for more complex 3 dimensional, 3 axis applications.
- The additions of our multi-axis CNC wire Electrical Discharge Machine (EDM). We are able to machine metals and samples that cannot be performed by conventional machining. Parts or materials that are machined with the EDM machine must conduct electricity. Materials that are too hard for conventional machining usually can be cut and machined in this manner. Our EDM is a 2 axis machine with limited angle cutting capabilities. Currently this is the only machine of its kind on the NC State campus. Along with the experience of our highly skilled Instrument Makers, this EDM and our CNC mill increases our capability to do extreme, tight tolerance, high precision machine work. It gives the Research Shop unlimited capabilities to accomplish your research project needs.
- You will find that this is a fully functioning machine shop with other lathes, milling machines, precision surface grinders, fabrication/welding equipment and a full range of hand tools available.
- We have a pleasant and accommodating, well trained staff, with over 75 years of combined work experience. We take a lot of pride in our workmanship to produce top quality products for our clients